does the "slot switch" function work with SDHC cards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 24th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Major Player

does the "slot switch" function work with SDHC cards?

that is,,,,when one card is full, the EX1r moves to the second slot

I know this is a feature that works fine with SXS cards, but has someone tried it when using two adaptors with SDHC cards?
thx
Fed
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes. I allow it switch all the time with my EX1 and it always works. Make sure you have good quality SDHC cards that have been vetted by others and test yourself. I run through the cards end to end (slot switch included) a couple of times before using the cards.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Major Player

"I run through the cards end to end (slot switch included) a couple of times before using the cards."

what do you mean?
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Put in two 32GB SDHC cards and record about 4 hours straight. I erase the cards and do it again. End to end none stop.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

... need to let it plays (read) for about 3 minutes each card.
I have 2 cards which recorded thru twice, but failed after 3 minutes reading (play).
So you will need to test out the write (record) & read (play the clip) before use it on the real job :-)
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Trustee

I've got MxR and Hoodman addapters I use with Sankisk cl10 and Patriot cl6 16GB cards on my EX3. After updating to the latest firmware they all work flawlessly with allowing the camera to switch when it reaches a full card or me manually pushing the slot change button. With the Sandisk cl10 cards the playback and write stop write times almost approach my SxS card times.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I would only allow an automatic Slot Switch if I have no choice...such as recording a sporting event or a long speech, etc. It is much better to decide when you want to switch slots and then do it manually. Your editor will love you for not having one clip spread over two cards. Never had a problem with my SDHC cards.
Frank Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Trustee

I agree with Mr. Casanova. It is a hassle to deal with the Sony Clip Viewer when a running clip crosses over to a new medium (SxS or SDHC). I would much rather "call the shot" myself. I've been burned by the Clip Viewer getting confused, and I'd rather avoid it altogether.

But in answer to the original question, yes my EX1 auto-switches from an SDHC in one slot to an SDHC in the other slot.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Casanova View Post
I would only allow an automatic Slot Switch if I have no choice...such as recording a sporting event or a long speech, etc. It is much better to decide when you want to switch slots and then do it manually. Your editor will love you for not having one clip spread over two cards. Never had a problem with my SDHC cards.
Yeah, I've been really impressed with my Sandisk Extreme Class 10 cards. they're the best cards i've tested/worked with. i am tempted to try the Transcend Class 10 card since its half the price of a Sandisk card.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Michael, I mostly use ATP's now, but I have four of the new Class 10 Transcends, too, and they've been flawless.

I have never had problems with the class 6 Transcends, either -- probably because I got the earlier batches.
Mark Savage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds