PMW-350 Default Scene File? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Major Player

PMW-350 Default Scene File?

I've had my 350 barely 2 weeks and, so far, I am very pleased with it. But due to the abominable user's manual I keep generating new questions, many of which, thankfully, have already been addressed on this forum. I have not found an answer, however, to the following question:

At initialization (when the camera is first turned on) which, if any, scene file is it referencing? I have noticed that at this stage, none of the scene file boxes are checked and since I have yet to alter or add to those in the camera's memory, the only scene file that appears to exist natively is "standard," but its box is not checked at startup.

Secondly, I wonder if anyone knows whether it would technically feasible, with some future firmware update, to allow for the retention in memory of the last scene file used?
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Whatever scene file or paint settings that were in use when you powered down remain in effect when you turn the camera back on. The fact that the box is not marked when you power up is just a software flaw.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Yep, that's how it works on the PDW F350 and the 530/510 as well.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Whatever scene file or paint settings that were in use when you powered down remain in effect when you turn the camera back on. The fact that the box is not marked when you power up is just a software flaw.
Thank you for the explanation.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The default scene file is the "Standard" scene file. As has been said the last used scene file is remembered when you turn the camera on. You can adjust the default "Standard" scene file settings that are stored in the cameras memory by adjusting the settings and then saving them as a reference file in the cameras memory. Whenever you choose the "standard" scene file the reference file settings will be used. To revert to the factory default "standard" settings you would need to use the "reference" "clear" option.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Trustee

Unless you recall a scene file, it uses the current working memory when powering up. It is assumed that you could have modified a setting from the previous session, therefore no box would be checked.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Vortex Media

Sorry Tom, that is incorrect. Although I can see the logic of what you are saying, it is a software flaw.

The F800/700 had the same problem until last month's V1.63 firmware update that fixed it. Now when you turn the camera on, it always shows whichever scene file was selected last -- regardless of whether any of the paint settings of that file have been modified since the last time it was recalled. I suspect the same change will made in a future 350 firmware update, and that is why it is a bug, not a feature.

The problem with all these cameras is that you can never be sure if something has been changed since the scene file was last recalled. Not only when you turn the camera on, but even before it has been turned off.

I've been lobbying for Sony to add a "*" symbol next to the name of the current scene file immediately when any one of the dozens of paint menus get changed. That way you'll always be able to tell at a glance whether the camera is using the original scene file settings you think it is, or if at least one setting has been changed.

I hope that makes sense the way I have explained it. It's a feature I'd sure like to see.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Now when you turn the camera on, it always shows whichever scene file was selected last -- regardless of whether any of the paint settings of that file have been modified since the last time it was recalled.
That seems like it could be a flaw worse than the one they are fixing. If you go to the scene file menu to inquire which scene file is currently selected, it would be misleading if there is a check mark next to a file that does not match what is actually set.

The asterisk sounds like a good idea.

For now, when I want to store a change to a scene file, the first thing I do is recall the scene file before making the change, so as not to inadvertently store changes I don't want along with the changes I do.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:24 AM   #9
Vortex Media

Tom, I agree with you 100% and I do the same thing.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
That seems like it could be a flaw worse than the one they are fixing. If you go to the scene file menu to inquire which scene file is currently selected, it would be misleading if there is a check mark next to a file that does not match what is actually set.

The asterisk sounds like a good idea.

For now, when I want to store a change to a scene file, the first thing I do is recall the scene file before making the change, so as not to inadvertently store changes I don't want along with the changes I do.
Hi Tom:
After you recall the scene file, by which I assume you mean that you are loading it into the camera's memory, and make whatever changes you deem necessary, are you saving it under a different name in order to preserve the original? Are you saving to camera memory or to an SxS card?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Trustee

I save to both memory and card. I'm satisfied with my scene files. I will recall a scene file to put the camera into a known state, and if I thereafter make situational adjustments to it, usually very minor, I do not save them.

But when I was saving them, I would overwrite the same scene file.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:05 PM   #12
Major Player

Thank you.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds