Sony Clipbrowser question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 7th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #16
Trustee

Correct me if I'm wrong - don't most NLE's display timecode within the Project/Bin window? I think Premiere does. (I use Premiere but am busy offloading 6 16GB cards before I go to bed)
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb View Post
Vincent is talking about tape, in which case timecode is valuable. I'm not sure why he's talking about tape here, however.
When you shoot interviews or long takes, timecode is valuable. When you shoot like 2000 clips for a show and you need a specific timecode, Victors request could come in handy. Hopefully the director or whatever logged the clip-number as well, but if not, timecode viewing instantly, again, what the premier question in this post was, is handy...

The following situation; reality show, quick turnaround, this week on air. Something's happening which is important in the show. Director does a quick view on the side of my PMW 350 which has TC view and notes it down. At the end of the shoot he mails the TC list to editor who can ingest according to that list... Again a good example of good ol' timecode. Even in a clip based environment.

@ steve; Yes that's how we work mostly, but I agree that it's would come in handy in the clipbrowser. We keep the SDHC (in an MXR card) as a master on the shelf and import the necessary files to the suites. Then again, instant view of timecode in clipbrowser could come in handy...
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Victor asks: "why would someone want to look through bad takes all day?" In response, I ask: "Why are you keeping bad takes?" That's the beauty of these cameras. If the take sucks, you delete it.
Define bad take. Even when we do drama, bad takes can be helpful (maybe one different reaction shot to chose from, or some audio/noise from that take). I tell all my cameraman not to delete shots in the field. Can go wrong, been there.... Better safe then sorry...

Last edited by Vincent Rozenberg; May 8th, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Bad take = actors missed a line or lack of energy, boom pole in shot, cameraman in mirrors, and plain old Camera operator errors - can't blame others all the time :) I handed the editor two hard drives with identical copies of all the footage. I agree with not deleting anything, you never know.

Doug, that's a good workaround to get the clip # without lots of hassle.

Perrone, Sorry here too, did not mean any bad blood in my comments to you. I appreciate all the feedback from all. This will help me iron out a good working process between capture & post
Victor Matos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds