Advice for buying used Sony EX1R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 7th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Advice for buying used Sony EX1R

I'm looking to buy a Sony EX1R and have been thinking seriously about trying to find a used low usage model (around 100hrs). I haven't seen many around but hoping more might start to appear in the next few months.

Are there any issues particular to the EX1R I should be looking out for? Any idea what a fair price might be for a used model in good condition - BH selling for $6300 (plus there's a $500 Sony rebate if additional accessories are purchased)? Am I crazy for trying to buy a used EX1R?

Cheers
Dave
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Major Player

You would probably be better off looking for a used EX1. The EX1r has only been out for a couple of months. You might as well buy a new one, if thats what you want. I just purchased a brand new EX1 for almost £1000 less than an EX1r, shop around.
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ex1

I have my EX1 up for sale on here... http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/private-...ml#post1524389
Dylan Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for your input. I see lots of used EX1's around but would prefer the EX1R for the improvement over the EX1, particularly ergonomics.

I'm more interested to know if there are any problems specific to the EX1R I should watch out for if buying used.

And I'm also curious to know how much cheaper a used model would be (from the few I've seen online it looks like they're dropping $500-800 from the purchase price). Seems a bit expensive to me.

Seeing as I'm not going to be driving through the US until July I thought prices might come down a bit ...
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mercer View Post

I'm more interested to know if there are any problems specific to the EX1R I should watch out for if buying used.
Never heard of any.
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #6
Major Player

I have had no issues with the EX1r, and love the changes from the EX1 I had.
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Major Player

So I take it the extra money spent on the EX1R is worth it over the EX1. I was wondering how many people thought the same. I'll keep my eyes out for used Ex1Rs then ...

Thanks all.
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Re: Advice for buying used Sony EX1R

Just curious if you had luck in buying a used ex1R? I'm going through the same problem of finding one to buy.
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:56 AM   #9
Sponsor: Westside AV

The biggest problem with the EX1/R and EX3 is the zoom control.

Some lenses are very good and some are terrible.

Sony does not consider this an issue any more, they simply don't guarantee smooth zooms at slow rates.

So even if you buy a new one I would check it out before buying. Pick it up at a camera store or be sure there is a replacement policy in place.

To test try to zoom very slowly, almost imperceptibly. The bad lenses will jerk and stop and start. It is easy to think it is operator error. But it is the nature of some of these lenses. It can be very hard to get a smooth start and stop.

If you don't zoom in shots much (I try not to use the zoom while shooting) then it is not an issue.

Just be aware of this issue.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Major Player

When purchasing any digital camera, the first thing I do is set the camera to the highest gain 18db in this case and let it sit for a few minutes. Then look for burnt pixels that remain white on the viewfinder.

Also check the back-focus by zooming all the way in, focusing and zooming full wide making sure the image remains in focus.

Finally, buy from a source that will allow you to return it if it does present issues after you get home.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds