Green Screen with EX1r at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 9th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Green Screen with EX1r

I have a green screen job coming up in the next couple of days and would appreciate any recommendations, which format, which would be best: 1920 50i, 1920 25p or 720 50p? The final output will be to both Bluray and SD DVD. Unfortunately I have to record to SxS and cannot go directlly to the computer.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Green screen editing is best done using progressive material. As to 1920/25p vs. 720/50p, I'd use the former (even though some say that down-converting is easier from the 720p format).

Personally, I deliver all my stuff in both SD DVD and BD formats, and acquiring in 1920/25p proved to be optimal for these purposes.
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Use 1920 x 1080 - This gives you maximum resolution to work with. Personally I prefer to shoot progressive (25p).

Pay attention to proper lighting on the greenscreen, this is rather crucial. Also try to have your talent/interviewee/actor placed well in front of the greenscreen to avoid direct spill light.

Keying out the green screen shouldn't give any problems at all. Did many greenscreen recordings with my EX1 (and FCP).

Regards,
Erwin
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #4
Major Player

What are you gonna shoot? Simple plain interview or a full feature action movie?
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #5
Major Player

In most (if not all) cases shooting progressive is the way to go when keying is part of post. It will give you clearer 'edges' than interlaced footage when the subject is moving.

(Wow, 3 replies from the Netherlands in a row!)
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

You have confirmed my own inclination, although I have to say that I prefer 50p to 25p. This will be a simple talking head/interview situation and I will be using the Reflectamedia screen and LED light system; it may now be possible to record directly into the editing PC (using Edius) so this will avoid MPEG nasties.

Cheers again,

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Major Player

I have/use the LED system as well, already a dozen of times with both XDCAM and HDV codes, works perfectly. Keep in mind to have a certain distance between the LED's and the subject to avoid green spill...
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds