Colour at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 16th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Colour

Hi Sorry if this has been on a older thread, but i need to get a little bit more colour from the ex1 the pp I have now is the one that doug Jenson recomends on the vortex dvds but i want it to match my Z7 which as a little bit more saturation, I can match them in post but would like to get it from camera any help would be welcome

Thanks
Ian
Old May 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There's a sticky right at the top of this section that tells you how to do this. Look for the "real color" or "true color" profile. I have that one loaded but I prefer to shoot much flatter nearly all the time.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Raising the Saturation level in the PP matrix settings will increase the amount of colour.
Old May 17th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Major Player

The camera seems to naturally boost the reds. I tend to decrease saturation, not increase it.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

A number of people have spent a lot of their time shooting color charts to come up with a color-accurate profile for the EX1/EX3 cameras. That information is located in the sticky above. Once the camera is color balanced, saturation can be set at whatever level desired without introducing a color cast.

Again, I recommend people take advantage of the information that has been gathered and presented on this topic.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Major Player

A number of people have spent a lot of their time shooting color charts to come up with a color-accurate profile for the EX1/EX3 cameras. That information is located in the sticky above. Once the camera is color balanced, saturation can be set at whatever level desired without introducing a color cast.

Perrone,

Could you point out which one for him maybe? The sticky is now 37 pages long. How will he know which one?

John
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Perrone,

Could you point out which one for him maybe? The sticky is now 37 pages long. How will he know which one?

John
He will know which one because I offered the name of the color profile. And sorry, I am busy right now at work. I cannot search through the thread right now.
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Real Color Picture Profiles

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...tml#post906156

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...tml#post814739

John
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Major Player

thankyou all for your help i will check them out
thanks Ian
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:15 AM   #10
Major Player

[QUOTE= The sticky is now 37 pages long. How will he know which one?

John[/QUOTE]

That's right. While the sticky contains crucial information it is entirely useless for being abused by those who have not posted PP-s just added endless discussion, sometimes OT. Who has the time read such an enormous thread?

It would be great to see a sticky containing strictly only PP-s with their description - with no discussion and 2 cents...
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:20 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos View Post
That's right. While the sticky contains crucial information it is entirely useless for being abused by those who have not posted PP-s just added endless discussion, sometimes OT. Who has the time read such an enormous thread?

It would be great to see a sticky containing strictly only PP-s with their description - with no discussion and 2 cents...
I've read it. Twice.

Who has the time to read the thread? People who are interested in learning what they can about how to set up these terrific cameras. And many of us were learning and experimenting as we went along and that thread was built.

If you'd like something more succinct, I think we would all welcome someone culling out the pertinent information and starting a new thread with just that.

Let us know when it's ready, ok? ;)
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
I've read it. Twice.

Who has the time to read the thread? People who are interested in learning what they can about how to set up these terrific cameras.
Good to know that you are not really as busy as you described a few posts back so you even managed to read the PP monster thread twice. In the light of this perhaps you will have the time for an elaborate answer to the original question.
The PP thread is full with useless discussion and debate instead of PP-s, description and practicalities. There are such, too. But you really have to suffer all the unnecessary posts while finding them. I rather go out and shoot.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:47 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Good to know that you are not really as busy as you described a few posts back so you even managed to read the PP monster thread twice.
I had more time a while back. The end of fiscal year is rather busy for us so time is limited for me right now.

Quote:
In the light of this perhaps you will have the time for an elaborate answer to the original question.
The PP thread is full with useless discussion and debate instead of PP-s, description and practicalities. There are such, too. But you really have to suffer all the unnecessary posts while finding them. I rather go out and shoot.
If I were trying to get cameras to match, I'd get a DSC Chart, shoot it with the Z7, set that as target, and then shoot and adjust the EX1 to get it as close as I could on the waveform/vectorscope. This is essentially how the real color picture profile was built (the one listed in that monster thread) and it's proven effective for me when I needed rich, saturated colors, had no intention of grading in post, and was in complete control of all lighting in room.

I rarely find myself in that scenario, so I took that profile, desaturated it and modified it to fit my needs, and it's what I shoot with nearly all the time now.

Those who choose not to grade footage in post really need to work on the profiles to get something pleasing to them. It's not easy, but it is very effective.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:48 AM   #14
Major Player

To illustrate the problem is not made up by me, I paste here the link of this thread about how others think about the annoying PP monster:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ky-thread.html

Thank God, there were good people who collected most of the PP-s and they are now available.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:57 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Terrific. So a dozen people with thoughts of what to do, and yet no one has done it. This could be your shining moment Zsolt!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds