Hot-pluggable zoom controller for EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hot-pluggable zoom controller for EX1

Hi,

I am actually searching for a good zoom controller for the EX1. As I have to switch very often between tripod and handheld shots, it would be important for me to be able to connect and disconnect the zoom controller without having to switch the EX1 off and on. Can anyone having zoom controllers tell me which one you have and if this is working with yours ?

Thanks in advance,
Bye,
David Arendt
David Arendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Major Player

I have a Zoe controller and it hot plugs in and out no problem.
I can't see any reason why all the EX1 controllers wouldn't hot plug.
They are analogue devices and not at all like Lanc controllers.

(The only problem I get sometimes is when powering up the camera with the controller attached and the zoom control is being pressed slightly in one direction. It aligns or centres to this position so you can't zoom properly in one direction. I've not explained that very well have I?)
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan Craig View Post
(The only problem I get sometimes is when powering up the camera with the controller attached and the zoom control is being pressed slightly in one direction. It aligns or centres to this position so you can't zoom properly in one direction. I've not explained that very well have I?)
I'd say it's pretty clear... Wherever the controller is during power up is considered the middle point. It's just like the old Nintendo 64 controllers - if the analog stick was pressed any direction when turned on that would be considered center and the controls would go nutty!
Hiram Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Trustee

This is the one I have and I absolutely love it. There are a few reasons I chose this model over the cheaper one (VZ-Rock-EX): 1) this is all metal whereas the cheaper model is plastic and users have reported the plastic breaking when clamped too tightly; 2) it has a dial controlling the speed, and you can adjust the speed during the zoom, which allows for perfect feathered zooms.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543232-REG/VariZoom_VZ_PRO_EX_VZ_Pro_EX_Comfort_Grip_Zoom_Controller.html
Another thought - the Varizoom VZ-Rock-EX is commonly used on the handle of shoulder mounts.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram Yates View Post
I'd say it's pretty clear... Wherever the controller is during power up is considered the middle point. It's just like the old Nintendo 64 controllers - if the analog stick was pressed any direction when turned on that would be considered center and the controls would go nutty!
'Calibration' was the word I was looking for yesterday!
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks. I have finally decided to order the Manfrotto 521EX from Bhphotovideo as I use a Manfrotto 503 head and it had relatively good comments. On the Varizoom ones, opinions seemed to be divided, some better ones, some worse ones. When I have tested it, I will report back.
David Arendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Major Player

David I just sent you an email from this forum. I have a Manfrotto 521EX that I am not using.

-Andrew
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds