Condenser mic's problem ex1. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:26 AM   #1
Tourist

Condenser mic's problem ex1.

I have tried both a lavalier (ECM-44B condenser) and a wireless lavalier (Sony UWP-V1), both with fresh batteries and with both I cannot get the audio levels to peak ever. Even if both channels are set to manual and both are audio levels are at 10, it is near impossible to get the audio to peak in the red. If you yell very loud directly into the microphone it will peak sometimes. The audio sounds fine, it just wont peak. It seems like their is little sensitivity. I tried all setups in the camera menu but it doesn't works pergups this is becaus of condenser but +48 volt doesn't works to.
Saba Amirejibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Amirejibi View Post
I have tried both a lavalier (ECM-44B condenser) and a wireless lavalier (Sony UWP-V1), both with fresh batteries and with both I cannot get the audio levels to peak ever. Even if both channels are set to manual and both are audio levels are at 10, it is near impossible to get the audio to peak in the red. If you yell very loud directly into the microphone it will peak sometimes. The audio sounds fine, it just wont peak. It seems like their is little sensitivity. I tried all setups in the camera menu but it doesn't works pergups this is becaus of condenser but +48 volt doesn't works to.
You need to boost the sensitivity in camera's Menu (so called Trim Level): default is -41db, you have to use bigger negative number, e.g., -59db. The camera recording volume should be 5 to 6 for maximum quality.
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm not sure you can get the camera to really clip. There's AGC and it can't be defeated.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds