Ex1 Error Codes E15030/ E17003 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 26th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Ex1 Error Codes E15030/ E17003

Hi Folks,

It's happened twice now.

EX1 with the original software (yes yes I know...)

I think it might have happened when I took out the battery without powering down first..... pretty fuzzy from all the pollution..... environment and otherwise.

After putting the battery back in.... it takes about 5-7 minutes to boot up into camera mode. In the beginning the menu controls are very very slow to respond. Flipping over to playback..... this has to be done maybe 7 times before it will boot (5 min as well) and display clips.

To get the camera 'working' properly again....... just plug it into AC current and problem solved.

Does anyone know what's going on here? It only just started doing this.... after getting hit with a cricket ball..... in a slum.
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ror-codes.html
Old May 26th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Duncan.
Looks like things could get expensive.
Damn.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Jonathan,

You do have another option if Sony comes back and tells you it will cost you a gazillion dollars to fix it and that is to get a battery that plugs into the AC outlet.

The SWIT S-8U62 battery is the most commonly used.

S-8U62 replacement for Sony BP-U60 Battery/ PMW-EX1/EX3 camera [SWIT S-8U62] - $179.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions

They make an even bigger one...

EX-L96 SWITRONIX [EX-L96] - $259.95 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions

You could also go cadillac and get Anton Bauer Dionic 90s and an A/B "Gold Plate" adapter that would also you to easily hang a Dionic off the back of your EX1.

Hopefully they will find a simple problem and not have to replace the brain of your camera. However, if it works through AC then you do have a workaround, if you wish.

-Andrew
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Huge thanks Andrew.

I should clarify that once I return to base.... then plug the camera into AC it boots perfectly and somehow resets it so it can take battery power again.

I'm going to try to make sure I don't take out the battery while the camera is still powered up.

I think I'm going to try a few tests by removing the battery while running to see if I can cause a system failure.

Still open to any and all comments :)
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote: - I think I'm going to try a few tests by removing the battery while running to see if I can cause a system failure.

At one stage i was interested in remote camera operation and I asked whether it would possible to leave the camera on record and then start/stop recording by using a timer to supply power via the power socket. I was advised that it would be a risky venture by one who had extensive experience with Sony cameras. I heeded the advice.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Major Player

I wouldn't pull the battery off the camera while it is on unless you have a desperate need to buy a new camera. You have tempted fate and appears you got away with it. Think of it as analogous to having a desktop computer running and someone yanks the cord out of the wall. It's the same thing, same chance of blowing a power supply, a circuit board, frying memory, etc.

I once accidentally pulled the battery off my EX3 in the middle of a shoot. Scared the living daylights out of me as I know that a mistake like that could cost me $2000 to $3000 in repairs. Got way better things I could do with that kind of money.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Major Player

Fixed with a small piece of a birthday balloon!

Ok so I just though I let other know how things worked out with the error code problem.

So I began to notice that the camera would have a freak out error code melt down (described in 1st post) whenever I mounted a particular tripod plate (Gitzo 1380). The problem was intermittent and the guys at Sony Berlin couldn't find it. They did say that it would be 3k euro to replace the main board. 5 hours before jumping a plane back to 'way far away' the camera had yet another serious error code meltdown...... I got on the plane anyway.

In the morning I decided to take out the camera's tripod mounting slot (attached by 4 small screws)..... I could now see into the camera. For whatever reason I decided that the problem might be some kind of short circuit or grounding issue. So with cat-like swiftness, I cut a small square piece of a blue rubber balloon and laid it into the mounting plate slot and then fit the tripod mount back into the camera.

It's been one week now and not a single error code. The camera boots perfectly. Happily putting the 3k euro towards the film. Use a blue balloon ;)
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Blue balloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland View Post
Ok so I just though I let other know how things worked out with the error code problem.

............. The camera boots perfectly. Happily putting the 3k euro towards the film. Use a blue balloon ;)
:-) Blue is a key to that fix... I'll remember that... ;-)
Well done!
Luben Izov is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds