Log and Transfer from within FC: help please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 31st, 2010, 09:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Log and Transfer from within FC: help please

I need some help. After more than a year of logging and transferring with the Sony apps, I want to try doing it from within Final Cut. I have v 7.02 running on Snow Leopard with all the current Sony XDcam transfer (v 2.12 from Feb 2010) and clip browser software. In fact, when checking in XDcam transfer, it validates that I have all the required components.

I can view clips and manipulate them from the SxS card using either Clip Browser or XD Transfer but cannot get the log and transfer window to open the clips from within FC. When I select the card from within FC, I get an error message "Unsupported Media or Invalid directory structure." Yet I have the current version of the sony software which supports log and transfer.

I have a feeling the plug in is not in the correct location. In my application support folder for Final Cut, there is a file "Sony Import Plugin.bundle" but it is greyed out and is not associated with a particular application. Also, in the FC log&transfer window...from the Import Preferences pull-down, there is no option for Sony cards (though there are options for P2, Canon EOS and AVCHD).

Note that FC does recognize the card is there. If I choose File>>Import>>Sony XDCAM, it will start XDCam transfer to pull the clips in that way. But I want to eliminate having to use two or three pieces of software to accomplish a simple ingest into FC.

For those that use L&T from within FC, can you offer some help? Should I see and option to select Sony from the preferences pull-down in the log and transfer window? Do I need to drag a plug-in into a specific folder?

Thanks so much.
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

See if installing this helps
Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
I need some help. After more than a year of logging and transferring with the Sony apps, I want to try doing it from within Final Cut. I have v 7.02 running on Snow Leopard with all the current Sony XDcam transfer (v 2.12 from Feb 2010) and clip browser software. In fact, when checking in XDcam transfer, it validates that I have all the required components.

I can view clips and manipulate them from the SxS card using either Clip Browser or XD Transfer but cannot get the log and transfer window to open the clips from within FC. When I select the card from within FC, I get an error message "Unsupported Media or Invalid directory structure." Yet I have the current version of the sony software which supports log and transfer.

I have a feeling the plug in is not in the correct location. In my application support folder for Final Cut, there is a file "Sony Import Plugin.bundle" but it is greyed out and is not associated with a particular application. Also, in the FC log&transfer window...from the Import Preferences pull-down, there is no option for Sony cards (though there are options for P2, Canon EOS and AVCHD).

Note that FC does recognize the card is there. If I choose File>>Import>>Sony XDCAM, it will start XDCam transfer to pull the clips in that way. But I want to eliminate having to use two or three pieces of software to accomplish a simple ingest into FC.

For those that use L&T from within FC, can you offer some help? Should I see and option to select Sony from the preferences pull-down in the log and transfer window? Do I need to drag a plug-in into a specific folder?

Thanks so much.
Bob
Bob,
I had the same problem... I first downloaded the latest l&t driver... then i checked the fcp manual to see if i was missing anything. My snag was not setting up a logging bin in my fcp project before opening l&t. Once i set the "logging bin" the process was seamless.

Hope this helps
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Major Player

I bet you're onto something Greg. I've been doing that for my Canon footage but did not do it with the EX-1 footage. I'll have to give that a try tomorrow.

What is the consensus: are most people using the XDCam transfer app or going directly to FC through its log and transfer?

I watched Matt Davis' tutorial on Vimeo explaining why to use XDCam transfer and he makes a compelling case for sticking with it.
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I prefer to use the log and transfer. When I ingest I just grab it all and log and transfer is very simple for me. I build any sub clips after I get the footage into final cut. It is just the way I like to work. I am mostly a one man band and I don't watch any clips until they are already into my system.
Harry Christensen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds