PCI-E la ExpressCard Adapter Bay, Roline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PCI-E la ExpressCard Adapter Bay, Roline

Hallo
anyone tried this model sxs reader,work with sxs?Cost 31 usd
Thanks
Attached Images

Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Trustee

Who makes this? It looks identical to my Siig Expresscard to PCIe adapter, except mine is black.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I do not know, says that is produced by Roline,Manufactured in China :-),Steve,your reader works with sxs?
Thanks
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I too have one in black. It came from Synchrotech.
PCI Express to ExpressCard 34|54 Slot Drive Read-Writer Front, Synchrotech
Works OK but there's no hot swap. You must boot with a card in the slot. To change cards:
Pull the first card.
Use device manager to repoll for drives so it knows the card is not longer available.
Insert the new card.
Repoll again.
Annoying but not overwhelming and much faster transfer than the Sony USB reader (I have that on a second editor).
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Trustee

Yes, the Siig adapter works great with SxS cards. PROVANTAGE: SIIG Inc. JJ-000082-S1 PCIe to ExpressCard Bay

I use it on a PC and its the same process that Marc explained. The Siig adapter can fit in either a 3.5" or 5.25" bay (it comes in a 3.5" and includes an adapter to fit into a 5.25" bay), and it costs under $50.

I have also used other expresscard devices, such as the Matrox Mini and everything functioned great. (although I hated how the Matrox Mini worked with Premiere Pro)
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Trustee

"I have also used other expresscard devices, such as the Matrox Mini and everything functioned great. (although I hated how the Matrox Mini worked with Premiere Pro) "

What was the problem with this combination and which version of Premiere are you using. I have the RTX2 card and use CS4, no problems, just waiting for the drivers for CS5 to be available.
Old June 25th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #7
Trustee

Here is what I said a few months ago about the Mini and CS4,
"1) Yes, it does require Matrox presets in order to use the Mini for monitoring
2) Opening a sequence with Matrox preset but NOT having the Mini powered on causes Premiere and AE to crash. Thus, you will always need the Mini and can't share or move projects to other computers that don't have a Mini.
3) In Premiere, with the Source monitor selected and then selecting the Program or timeline causes a 3-5 second delay for the Mini to catch up and in the mean time, you can't do anything else. This delay also happens when going from the timeline/program to source monitor.
4) In Premiere, you lose the ability to easily adjust size and position in the Program window. Half the time, I never saw anything in the Program window while using the Mini.
5) With the Mini turned off, AE crashes upon starting."

PS Anyone considering USB 3.0, stay far away. I tried both an expresscard adapter in a laptop and the Siig adapter and an ASUS U3S6 PCIe card. 3 different Win 7 installations were corrupted due to the USB 3 driver (all USB 3 products use the same NEC drivers).
Old June 26th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #8
Trustee

Thank you for your thoughts and findings Steve. I am using a RTX2 card and have no problems editing EX3 files in real time and also previewing the output on a HD screen. If I put together a project then yes anyone wanting to alter any element will also need to have a RTX2 card and drivers installed on their system, but generally (always) I give my clients a final production, I keep the editing in my court.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds