Field Monitor for the EX1r at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 27th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Field Monitor for the EX1r

I did a search and really did not find anything on this subject, if its on here and I missed it would appreciate a link.

Is their an on camera Monitor that would be larger and make it easier to focus and set exposure with out spending $1000.00, or is the lcd going to do basically the same unless you spend that amount.
Old June 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Im after a field monitor with a decent set of scopes in it to. Preferably one with both Wave Form and Vector if anyone can recommend one around the $3000-$3500AU mark? Cheers
Gavin Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #3
Trustee

The color peaking function on the EX-1 is excellent. If you keep it set very low you can use that pretty reliably to check focus. Of course a bigger monitor is generally better and always a good idea, but when you say you don't want to spend $1000 - that's already cheap for a decent monitor.If your asking advice - How much do you want to spend?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I would like to spend $1000.00 or less, but if a $700.00 monitor is only a little better than the LCD, and the $1600.00 is great well, I would come up with the $1600.00.

Not sure I make any sense, I guess if you can get a good one for $1000.00 I want that, if not and you can get a really good one for $1600.00 than may do it. If it takes $2000 + to get much better than the lcd I am doing to pass on the monitor.
Old June 27th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Gavin,

I am in the market for a similar product and a similar price range. I really think a new thread should be started rather than highjacking Denny's thread. Just sayin' :)
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Denny,

This may seem like an odd suggestion but it could save you a bunch of money. Unless you are getting an external monitor for the client to view (which it sounds like you aren't) I would suggest considering the Hood Pro which is a $100 solution and gives you, in effect, a similar viewfinder to the EX3 but on your EX1R.

There is a review here of the original unit (which has been improved):
ProVideo Coalition.com: Camera Log by Adam Wilt | Founder | Pro Cameras, HDV Camera, HD Camera, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, RED, Video Camera Reviews

Here is the website of the manufacturer:
Sock-Loupe LCD Viewfinders and DSLR Viewfinders

As you will see, they have "stiffened" up the sock. The diopter is actually more powerful than the one in the EX3 and lots of people have got it and like it. The only thing is, it is a bit funky but it works, in terms of allowing you to get good tight focusing done.

External monitors can be good but you mentioned "outdoors" which means you are going to be paying a premium for backlight and sophisticated reflective coatings. These monitors are typically in the +$2000 range and are often a lot more. More overly, if they are the 6 to 8" variety you aren't getting full pixel resolution of your high def image. Those monitors are in the +$3000 and are mostly in the +$4000 range.

BTW, I do have the 1st generation of the Hood Pro so my comments come with experience of the product.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Trustee

The hoodman with the Mag3 and the adapter for the EX-1 works very well - way better than my original sockman. I'd say its a perfect match, not funky at all.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Major Player

For Gavin

I have the TV Logic 7" monitor: TVlogic USA

And I love it. It works very well. It ran me $2,500 US
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Major Player

I also own the Hoodman EX1 LCD product and for focusing, it works very well.

Especially outside where my TV Logic monitor doesn't do too well, unless it has a big hood on it.

The Hoodman product that attaches to the EX1's LCD is a wonderful product.
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Have you had a chance to try or look into the SmalHD DP1? It is around ~$700-$800 and is 720p.

I have been using inexpensive Viewsonic 14" LCD TVs and they are fine but nothing replaces a proper monitor for shooting. I am considering the DP1 as it has lightweight batteries and decent resolution. I have not seen one so I can not say yeah or neigh.

Imho the on-camera LCD is too small for anything but handhled work.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Major Player

This use would be 95% indoors, if not more if that makes a difference.

I am going to get the Hoodman EX1 kit, that looks great and even if I end up getting a monitor, can put it on the other ex1r.

Great replies everyone, and not saying that a field monitor in the $2000 range is not worth it, but just too much for me when my main use is weddings and video is a small part of my business.
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
The hoodman with the Mag3 and the adapter for the EX-1 works very well - way better than my original sockman. I'd say its a perfect match, not funky at all.
Wow, I just saw the Hoodman EX1 kit for the 1st time (yes I am a bit slow). This is absolutely amazing in terms of fit and finish. Here's a link to the product page:

EX KIT PRO-Hoodman Corporation
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds