Mizar KD mount modication- please help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #1
New Boot

Mizar KD mount modication- please help

Hello-

Is there an easy way to modify the kd mount to run slower than the slowest setting ??.

thanks in advance
Randy Lincks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Trustee

The only difference between fast and slow is a resistor in series with the motor. You could try a higher value resistor however I'd be concerned that the lower torque could cause problems despite the very high gear ratio. Another approach you could try is to remove one or more cells from the battery pack and bridge them out. That'd should make the motor run slower but without such a hit on the torque.
The other alternative would be to change some of the gears in the gearbox. They appear to be common plastic gears. If all else fails I'd email Mizar, they were quite responsive when I was purchasing my mount.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Build a little timer as I did, it triggers the motor to run for say 1 second, then shoots a frame on my EX1, then waits for say 10 seconds, moves again. This means each frame is "still" when shot. So, I can set the period of the run duration, and gap between each move and therefore can calculate angular sweep and overall time period for the shoot.

I used an astable device which drives a small relay to fire the Mizar then shoot the frame which triggers the EX1 via a modified cable from Bebob into the lens remote on the camera.

Oh yes, it all works on the Mizar battery pack of course - plenty power for the day.

Paul

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds