Shoulder mount for EX-3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 17th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
Looking great. With the side plate, you might want to make sure you still have clear access to the DC input. With switching to tripod and steadicam, you don't always want to run off the onboard battery. In the picture it looks obscured, or does it run to another possible input?
The DC input is still accessible (not very clear in the photo). I need to do the same thing with our Glidecam - so I understand your concern! I will try and get another photo posted soon. We may be able to modify the side plate slightly to allow more room around the connections - but we also want to maintain some strength where the side plate and angle plate are folded.
Mark Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post

Will this shoulder mount work for the EX1?
I am being asked this quite a bit at the moment!

I have tried an EX-1R on the mount - and it is possible to do it. I have 2 main concerns about it though:

1 - The LCD sits a bit close for comfort (in my opinion). This could be fixed by extending the rods - so that the shoulder pad moves back further. Probably wouldn't need to move too much further to put the LCD at a better position.

2 - The 1/4" plate on the bottom of the camera is held on by those 4 tiny screws - so I cam concerned that the weight of the mount (and any other accessories attached to it) will add too much stress to those screws holding that plate on (especially if the camera and mount are carried by the camera handle) - and eventually the screws may rip out of the base of the camera. I think things may have been improved on the EX-1R in this respect.

I need to get my hands on an EX-1/EX-1R for longer to have a proper look at it. I am not aware of any other mounting points on the camera. At least with the EX-3 it is secured in 3 places, so the load is spread out.

We have made allowance on the top plate of the mount to accomodate locating pins - to stop the camera skewing on the mount - in conjunction with a thin rubber pad, I think this would work quite well (the camera would only be attached via 1 1/4" thread though).

So, yes, with care, it would be possible to use the EX-1 on the mount.

I also tried the new Canon camera - and that was much better. The LCD on the Canon is further forward on the camera - so was at a good position and probably wouldn't require any modification of the mount.

Once we have the EX-3 mount sorted 100%, I'll have a look at options for the EX-1 and other cameras.

Mark
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
what kind of z style riser are you using in this photo? Is the back plate for battery or nanoflash adjustable? for example, if I use a larger PL-U95 battery will that fit the space?
I think the riser is a Zacuto. It was supplied by the rental company when we tried out the Letus.

I don't have a PL-U95 battery - but I doubt that it will fit with the shoulder mount/battery plate in the forward position. There isn't a lot of room between the BPU-60 and the battery plate at the moment.

The idea of course is that larger V-Lock or Anton Bauer batteries can be used to power the camera (and provide balance for the mount). It is possible that we could look at a mounting system for the PL-U95 type batteries in place of the V-Lock/AB batteries - but that would have to come later.

When I get some more photos taken, the options for batteries and mounting accessories should all become a lot clearer!

Mark
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone View Post
I agree with David on two points, both the DC input and the BNC connectors. For Steadicam it is best if the BNC connectors could "swing" over and protrude on the left hand side of the camera as opposed to the present right side as you have it. Otherwise there is a good chance of banging the cables with your leg when operating. Not sure if your present design allows you to position the BNC connector mount on either side of the camera.
We will put mounting holes on the other side of the angle plate as well - so the BNC connectors can be fixed on either side of the camera.

I think for handheld or tripod operation the bnc connectors on the right hand side would be preferable - but I understand your concerns when using Steadicam.

Should be a pretty easy fix though. Of course, you could always connect directly to the SDI output of the camera and not use the side bnc connections if that helped.

Mark
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
Looking great. With the side plate, you might want to make sure you still have clear access to the DC input. With switching to tripod and steadicam, you don't always want to run off the onboard battery. In the picture it looks obscured, or does it run to another possible input?
Here is a better photo of the Side Accessory Plate - with the DC Input, Monitor and S-Video connections. Also visible in this picture is the Battery Plate Brace with Hirose 4pin DC connections.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Shoulder mount for EX-3-side-connections.jpg  
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rule View Post
.. In the rear postion, the shoulder pad is moved back 50mm to put the viewfinder at a more comfortable position when shooting from the shoulder.
Mark can you upload a few photos of someone using the shoulder mount in the rear position.
It might give me an idea of how the weight of the camera with Vlock battery is better balanced.

Whats the measurement from the center of the shoulder mount in rear position to a point on the camera, say a switch or the Sony badge etc.

In fact if you could provide the measurements of the shoulder mount anyway. (apologies if you already have done so)

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Mark can you upload a few photos of someone using the shoulder mount in the rear position.
It might give me an idea of how the weight of the camera with Vlock battery is better balanced.

Whats the measurement from the center of the shoulder mount in rear position to a point on the camera, say a switch or the Sony badge etc.

In fact if you could provide the measurements of the shoulder mount anyway. (apologies if you already have done so)

Thanks.
I'll post some photos of the mount in use asap - just waiting on the new shoulder pads to arrive now.

Some measurements though:

332mm - overall length of mount

85mm - width

40mm - height (of main mount chassis - excluding battery plate, angle plate etc)

112mm - centre of power switch (off position) to centre of shoulder pad

Mark
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #38
Regular Crew

We have modified the battery plate from the original design to allow attachment of mounting brackets for accessories. There are a couple of compromises: The bracket mounts from the front of the plate (opposite side to the V-Lock battery mount) and uses 3mm (M3) screws instead of 2.5mm (M2.5).

It means that other accessories can easily be attached while allowing the battery to be accessed.

The photos show an IDX plate - but there are other similar plates that will work similarly.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Shoulder mount for EX-3-idx-plate-lhs.jpg   Shoulder mount for EX-3-idx-plate-rear-view.jpg  

Shoulder mount for EX-3-idx-plate-side-view.jpg  
Old August 29th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
112mm - centre of power switch (off position) to centre of shoulder pad

Mark
Thanks Mark, those measurement are a help.

Could I ask for one more.

Whats the measurement from the off switch in its off position to the back end of the shoulder mount
in its rear position.(moved back the 50mm)

Thanks again.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; August 29th, 2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Approx 110mm from centre of shoulder pad to back of mount (end of rods) which would make it approx 222mm from switch to end of rods. I don't actually have an EX-3 on me at the moment to measure from!

Top of the shoulder pad is approx 52mm from the end of the rods - bottom of shoulder pad approx 35mm from end of rods - if that makes sense?

Mark
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
Approx 110mm from centre of shoulder pad to back of mount (end of rods) which would make it approx 222mm from switch to end of rods. I don't actually have an EX-3 on me at the moment to measure from!

Top of the shoulder pad is approx 52mm from the end of the rods - bottom of shoulder pad approx 35mm from end of rods - if that makes sense?

Mark
Yes Mark it does, thanks.
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:47 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Its been a little while since my last post... We have been working hard on the EXMount and are underway with a production run of mounts.

The website - EXMount - Custom shoulder & Tripod mount for PMW-EX3 cameras - has been updated with more pictures, information and pricing.

We expect this run of mounts to be completed within the next 2 weeks.

Check the website and email or post here if you have any questions etc.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Shoulder mount for EX-3-exmount_composition.jpg  
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #43
Regular Crew

The EXMounts are now available - check the website for more details - EXMount.com.

We're now working on some accessories to enhance the EXMount further - more info to come on those.

Mark
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,

Nice work. In an earlier post, you mention that you were looking at using it with an EX1.

Have you done any further testing with it?

What are your thoughts/concerns?

Do you have any available at the current time?

Regards,

Tom Chaney
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
Hi Mark,

Nice work. In an earlier post, you mention that you were looking at using it with an EX1.

Have you done any further testing with it?

What are your thoughts/concerns?

Do you have any available at the current time?

Regards,

Tom Chaney
Hi Tom,

We've been busy getting the EXMount for the EX-3 sorted. But I am being constantly asked about the EX-1/1R (and now the Panasonic AF100 and the new Canon cameras).

The main concern with using the EX1 on the mount is that there is only the 1 1/4" mounting point - so the weight of the mount and accessories is on that 1/4" plate on the bottom of the camera - which is held on by those 4 relatively small screws.

But there are a couple of options that we can look at to reduce the load on that plate. Will see if I can get hold of a camera shortly so that we can have a proper look at it.

As far as availability goes - we have stock of the EXMount for the EX3 available now.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Rule is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds