Image Stabilization ON or OFF on Tripod? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 8th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Your camera battery will probably last a little longer with OIS turned off if you don't need it. It used to make a difference with my SD tape-based cameras.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Whenever the birds flew into the frame the whole image shifted. And when the wind moved the branches around the nest, the image shifted a little as well.
Very interesting. Does this mean that the EX1 optical image stabilizer is actually an electronic stabilizer then? I always thought an optical stabilizer mechanically moved a prism or lens element opposite of subtle camera motion, and isn't affected by what the camera is "seeing."
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #18
Major Player

I'm pretty sure it's an optical element mechanically moved based on image comparison with previous buffered frames.
Old July 10th, 2010, 02:29 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Whenever the birds flew into the frame the whole image shifted. And when the wind moved the branches around the nest, the image shifted a little as well. Luckily I caught the the problem and reshot while still there. And w/o the image stabilization on the shot was perfect.
Ok, this does not sound right. Image should not shift if the camera is locked on a tripod. Today I set up my EX1 on a tripod, focused and zoomed in on something far away, then moved foreground images around with stabilizer on. I tried in vain to make the image shift. Nothing happened. I cannot see how the image would shift if the camera is locked down. Can anyone duplicate Olof's claim?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #20
Inner Circle

You're right IMHO.

The OIS only reacts to (specific) physical camera movements; the gyro (re)action is inertia-based.

Reacting to a change in the image content is the EIS domain.

Of course we might be wrong - Olof?
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #21
Major Player

I haven't seen this with the EX1, because I keep IS off unless I really need it, but I have had it happen with a V1U. When I'd first got my V1 I left IS on all the time because, well, I really didn't know any better. One day I had done some locked down food shots, when I went to edit them that evening I found that on a couple the image was slowly sliding vertically up and down the screen. Very strange. The next morning the camera went back to Sony to be checked out, and I posted the problem on the V1 board here. The consensus was that the weirdness was the result of IS being left on while the camera was on a tripod. Live and learn...
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #22
Major Player

I shoot with a Z1, V1 and EX1 and can clearly see whether IS is on when I pan and tilt on a tripod because of the 'resistance'. It is worst on the V1 (I wonder if that means the V1's stabilization is best when handheld). I always assign IS to one of the programmable buttons so that I can have it off when on a tripod and when I have to jump up and run around with the camera, IS is only a click away.
Old July 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #23
Sponsor: Westside AV

I am on a shooting trip right now, in Kentucky and Arkansas. When I get back to the studio I will try to find the and post the footage of the birds. I am pretty sure I kept even the bad footage. If not I will shoot a similar setup and post that.
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I have been shooting a comedian for one year, and when I begun, yes, I had trouble with shaky-cam. I am almost always on full tele.

My solution to shaky-cam was proper tilt and pan friction tweaking. I didn't even use any friction on the tripod in the beginning, because I thought it was just getting on my way when doing subtle pans and tilts. The truth is, one thing is making a pan in wide angle and one very different thing is making it in full tele, something I obviously wasn't accustomed to.

In my case though, the problem was mostly about keeping the camera perfectly stable, at Z99, pointing slightly down, for 2 hours... with no friction, it was impossible. And I'm not even counting the people moving around, laughing, hitting the flor and shaking everything.

Today, whenever I set my VERY BASIC Manfrotto tripod, I spend a couple of minutes moving around the camera and making very subtle adjustments to the friction wheels to make sure everything is allright. This, combined with being relaxed and just holding very gently the handle with my fingers (not always using my whole hand) gives me very good results.

If your friction wheels are too loose, instead of just placing your finger for a little counterweight you will have to actually hold the handle to keep the head in place, therefore increasing shakyness. If your friction wheels are too tight, then your pans and tilts will be too rough.

The point of my not-in-camera-IS post is that, precisely, in my case I learnt that "image stabilization" with a tripod must also be calibrated on the tripod itself.

I hope someone finds my experience useful.

Last edited by Ivan Gomez Villafane; July 10th, 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
Ivan Gomez Villafane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #25
Trustee

Always OFF!
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #26
Major Player

I have to say as well: Always off.
It has never helped on a tripod, only ruined shots when I forgot to turn it off. I also keep it off in most handheld situations, as I find it sometimes make "unatural" looking footage. That´s me though
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #27
Major Player

I tried to find how to program the IS on say button 4 but IS isn't an option to assign to a button...or is it? How to assign on the EX1R?

Thanks
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #28
Trustee

On an EX-1 its in the viewfinder - just toggle it on & off with the joystick.

BTW I have often accidently shot with it on while on tripod and never had a serious issue, but occasionally I have seen drift after a pan and after a few minutes thinking my head is bad I remember to check the OIS.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #29
Major Player

I know how to toggle it off with the joystick and/or menu but can we assign IS to a button - much faster...
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #30
Trustee

Yeah I get that, I think I've looked for a button and couldn't assign one. If you figure that out let us know.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds