EBay 77MM 2X TELEPHOTO LENS for EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 19th, 2010, 04:43 AM   #1
New Boot

EBay 77MM 2X TELEPHOTO LENS for EX1?

If you look on Ebay you will find lots of very cheap and I presume low quality 77mm lenses none of which specify that they can be used on an EX1 but the thread size is the same. If these lenses are any good I might consider buying one instead of the Century Optics lens at ten times the price.

Has anyone used these lenses on their EX1?

What is the quality of the picture?

Any problems with them?

Here's a link to one of many lenses available, or just search for 77mm, I have included an image (by the way, I am not an ebay seller):

2X TELEPHOTO FOR NIKON NIKKOR LENS 62MM 67MM 72MM 77MM - eBay (item 130402801542 end time Jul-21-10 18:45:21 PDT)
Attached Thumbnails
EBay 77MM 2X TELEPHOTO LENS for EX1?-tele_lens_2x_62mm_small.jpg  
Dave Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Dave,

I bought one of these - absolute junk - totally unusable in every way! Money on the Century is not wasted - you get what you pay for. I ended up scolding myself for being so stupid and then bought the Century.

Graeme
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Graeme ,
Would you expand on that?
Does this not function at all?
Aloha,
Z
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick View Post
Dave,

I bought one of these - absolute junk - totally unusable in every way! Money on the Century is not wasted - you get what you pay for. I ended up scolding myself for being so stupid and then bought the Century.

Graeme
It's going to cost me 1200 euros in Ireland for the Century, I'm sure its a n excellent piece of kit but it will take me a long time to earn that money in the present economic climate, is there any other telephoto adapters out there for less money?
Dave Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You should considering moving to another country were the price-climate is better,
or you should buy it directly from B&H
-:)
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Believe me. Having crap glass will only make you angry. Just walk up closer to your subject until you can afford the one you really want!

When you have an EX1, with all it's image glory, then you put fuzzy piece of glass over it, you just won't use it. Because it's all fuzzier than without one on, it's just that the less money you spend - the more fuzzy it gets. I had a Raynox WA once with another camera, and it was wider, sure, but the detail was lost. Then I held out for the Century and the thing is still on that camera! I never took it off again! So when you think about what a lens is, which is a bottle neck for all the information coming into your project and everything will be colored by it, you want to not cheap out. It's more expensive to buy what you don't want, then buy what you really want later, than to just buy what you really want in the first place. I saved for a year and a half to get my EX1, so why would I want to take away what I spent all that money to get - great image quality.

Man after I started buying what I really wanted, my confidence was higher, and my work looked better, and I got more jobs. Yes it takes longer at first, but just ease off the G.A.S. a little and think of a way to get the money together. I'm telling you you will have a big ass smirk on your face the day the Century or Schnider arrives in the mail.

Everything one compromises on makes one's stuff look more amateur.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Wayne,

It was pretty much as Chad described - fuzzy like looking through a coke bottle, barrel distortion and vignetting. I put it on the lens, shot some footage, then put it back in the cupboard where it has stayed. I would not sell it as I could not possibly ask anybody to pay for it.

All the best,

Graeme
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Graeme,
That sums it up nicely .
Maybe you could use it as a B movie monster cam POV of the victim...wait, that's too much like real life, the victim being whoever buys this lens.
Best,
Wayne

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds