EX3 - Prime Support Extension (UK Cost?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 19th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Inner Circle

EX3 - Prime Support Extension (UK Cost?)

My EX3 will be 2 years old in less than 10 days time. It's been totally reliable/near enough faultless and is my main workhorse and came with the typical Sony 2 years UK Prime Support package that I've thankfully not needed to use.

I contacted Sony last week to enquire about the cost of extending its UK Prime Support for a further year as this does not seem to be an easily identifiable cost on their Pro AV website (or indeed on other mainstream UK pro video websites). I'm sure a year or two back it used to be an easily bought item with a number of Pro Video suppliers but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places nowadays or Sony restricted availability or something?

Anyway, after a number of days Sony have yet to get back to me (which is far from prime support...!) so I was wondering if any of you Brits know what this is likely to cost. Still undecide if I'll go for it but knowing the cost might help.

Thanks!
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Major Player

JIgsaw, Creative Video etc sell the policy extension. I have EX1s and have bought the extra time. Buy it before your warranty runs out, it takes Sony ages to supply policy but it will be valid.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Bruce - found some prices now (and it's about £145-149 ex VAT for the EX3). I'll order it in the next day or so to make sure it's done before 29th July (my EX3's 2nd birthday).

Interesting that the EX1 is often about 100 Quid more (ex VAT) for the Silver Prime Support Extension. Maybe EX1's are more unreliable?? (relatively speaking)
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:35 AM   #4
Major Player

I am about to get an EX3 and yes it looks as if the camera is more reliable as the policy extension is much less. Just been looking at my latest production on a high quality LCD screen and the EX1 pictures cut in with Digibeta, BetaSX and HDCAM match beautifully. I did get a top London colorist in to do the grading - worth every penny, the client is over the moon.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Re: EX3 - Prime Support Extension (UK Cost?)

My EX3 is almost 4 year's old now - how time flies! I have yet again just bought a Sony Prime Support 1 Year Extension (the 5th year of ownership is the last year this is available for the EX3, by the way). I've just bought it from one reputable UK supplier but was amazed at just how much variance there is in the price of this policy for the EX3 now, much more so (from memory) than a year ago when I last renewed it. Shop around if you're in the UK and want to extend your support!

The camera is still working flawlessly - so I hope I never need to use this policy - but nice to know the cover is there if I do.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds