Thinking of switching to EX cams - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 24th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #16
Space Hipster

Tim,
I mostly do tripod. There's that old saying: "a great cameraman earns his reputation by how well he can handhold a camera; he keeps his reputation by using a tripod."
But even then, my shoots usually require moving about a lot, with the camera firmly affixed to the tripod, making an even more heavier load. I mostly do one-man band shoots. The HPX, with tripod, can be a lot to throw around all day.
I came from the 3/4" video days, when a fully loaded equipment package was 45 lbs. Ain't no way I'm slugging that much around at 50 yrs old.

I would expect the image quality between the HPX500 and the EX cams to be very close. Both are cleared for Discovery HD's Silver acquisition. I wouldn't be disappointed with either's image quality, but I am a little wary of the rolling shutter.

The idea of keeping the HPX and adding an EX1 is intriguing. I'm just not sure I can do that in this economy. Unless, of course, the EX1 could bring in enough income to justify the added expense. The idea of marketing myself with two proven video formats is enticing. Do you get plenty of work with both? Which has proven to be the more popular format?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #17
Tourist

P2 vs SxS

I have been shooting w/ the HVX200 for about 3 years and am very pleased with the quality of the picture and the work flow. I recently picked up the EX1R and am delighted with the picture quality, but the work flow is a bit more render intensive.

The P2 @ 720pn gives me about 80 min of recording on a 32GB P2 card,(finally) with in introduction of Panny's PCD2 USB card reader, getting the footage in and out of FCP is a breeze. The P2 footage is all I frame, so editing/encode/transcoding is very quick. However, the camera is a bit slow (f stop) and a bit noisy. the 1/3 inch chips have a large DOF.

The EX1R makes a brilliant picture, is nearly 2 stops faster than the HVX, and with the Picture Profile settings you can create some amazing and versatile looks. Also, with the 1/2 inch chips the DOF seems to be about half of the HVX. You can use the Express Slot on a laptop to quickly bring the footage into a NLE. Since the XDCam footage is based on mpeg2, any color correcting or filters requires a marked increase in rendering time (even when rendering to ProRez).

Typically, I use the P2 for more sit-down interview type programs. DVCPro HD is a very good format for other GFX and animation components, and in these cases I am always shooting in 720pn to get the most out of my cards.

I've been using the EX1R more for sports, where 1080 is required. With the EX1R I have the ability to adjust gamma to crush the extreme highlights so often encountered in the field. The SxS 32GB cards give me about 115min of recording each, so with 3 cards I am more than good for the whole day. The EX1R has greatly improved the quality of the monitor/eyepiece, and I am comfortable working without an additional monitor/waveform. Also, with the HDSDI out I can go directly from the camera to a satellite feed.

I have found both cameras to be great tools, and each has a place in my work. Because I do a good deal of flying, both the HVX & the EX1R fit into cases that will go in the overheads of most airplanes. I can get camera, batteries, cards, an LCD light and a wireless mic system on as a carry-on. Neither the 500, 320 nor the EX3 will get down to that size.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,

Jim Cunningham
cunninghamprod@sbcglobal.net
Jim Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Glen, if you are mostly on tripod then the EX-1 with the Small HD monitor or similar model (battery powered) would be a very versitile setup and would cost less than the EX-3. External monitors are always a better shooting experience than even the best camera LCDs imho.

Throw in some LED lights and you are totally mobile. No wires.

I shoot and edit in my own stuff and use Nano Flashes on both cameras so the native formats are not in use.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds