Cleaning lens with this or that? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Cleaning lens with this or that?

Micro fiber cloth and cleaning fluid or LensPen LENSPEN is The superior Camera lens cleaning system for all fine optics, rifle scopes, camcorder and camera viewer screens, binoculars best for cleaning SONY EX1R lens?

Thanks
K
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I've been using Lenspen for ages to clean my stills camera lenses and it's great, much much better than microfibre cloth.

As the EX1 has a flat front element, you may consider using Lenspens Filterklear instead of the standard Lenspen.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

A couple thoughts on lens cleaning.

I always have a UV or similar filter on all my lenses, just to protect it. I have to replace them every 3-5 years as something usually happens in that time to scratch or chip the filter. Much better than sending lens in for front element replacement.

When cleaning the filter or lens I first use an air blower. Those "rocket" squeeze bulbs work great. If that does not work I use a lens pen, first with the brush, if that does not work then the round scrubber on the other end.

If I get oil or saltwater or something similar nasty on my filter I use a micro cloth with a little water or lens cleaning fluid, in a pinch I use soap or dishwasher liquid and a paper towel, but I think micro fiber is much better.

I also always try to shade my lens so that the sun or bright lights never hits the front element/lens. This really makes dirt show up. I use the built in shade, french flag or mattebox to do this, sometimes my hand or someone holding something, when in a rush. When using mattebox with filter it is usually in a very controlled environment so I then remove the UV filter. I also remove it if I use any other threaded filters, like polarizer or ND etc.

I have used these methods on still cameras and video/film cameras since the 60's (microfiber is a recent development and a very good one), as long as I have been shooting. And I have not had to replace the front element of a lens yet.

Also bear in mind that dirt show up the most when a wide lens is used and the focus is close to the camera and the aperture is closed. I always try to use a large aperture for this reason. The EX3/1 lens also performs best with aperture below 5.6.

Just a few thoughts and I am not saying everyone should use these methods, just that this is how I work. I know a lot of photographers don't like to put any extra filters in front of a great lens, and they have a good point.
Old July 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for both replies - that's just the kind of info I needed, appreciate it much - thanks.
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds