Green colour from EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 31st, 2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Green colour from EX1

I was filming guests arriving at a wedding. I stopped for around five minutes to set up a second
camera for the ceremony. When I switched on the original EX1 again the LCD was showing a
live green picture.
Thinking I had somehow accidentally upset the LCD picture settings I output the colour bars
which showed correctly.

I switched the camera off and on again same result.

Later I tried again same result.

When I got home I tried again this time the camera showed the correct colour picture.

Anbody had this happen to them?
Any ideas?

I feel I need to have the camera checked by a Sony engineer as this may happen again.
Greg Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:03 AM   #2
New Boot

This happened to me two days ago on an Ex1 (2 1/2 years old) when moving the camera the screen turned all green. I did not check the viewfinder. I just turned it off and on again and everything was fine. Kind of scary.
Felix Halter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 10:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Yep, mine also did this once. Turned it off and on again and the problem went away. Never seen it since and not since I did the firmware update.

Remember the EX1 is a computer at heart with software that it is running. Computers can do odd things from time to time and so can EX1's.
Old August 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Trustee

I also experienced this with one of the first EX-1's that came out. When I switched the ND filter from 0 to 2, my picture suddenly turned bright green. When I powered down/up, it was still green. I powered down/up again, and it was ok. This happened last week for the first time. Hasn't happened again so far.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:31 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Many thanks guys. Good to know it has happened to other cameras and it would seem to be temporary problem.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM   #6
Major Player

This sometimes happens if you do a wight balance with the exposure too high. In that case the fix is to iris down and do another WB.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Major Player

This happens on one of my original EX 1's ever since I had the first firmware upgrade, but under slightly different circumstances. If I rec. review a clip on the LCD, then close the LCD, the viewfinder will sometimes turn solid green, but I have learnt that if I extract out the LCD and tuck it in again, things return to normal.
Just wondering if this happens to others after they review a clip on the LCD.

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I've never ran into this happening to me but I'm very curious to know if anyone has rolled when this happened? If so, was the clip also green or did it record fine and it was just something buggy with the LCD screen?
Hiram Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

The clip records green.
Old August 6th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #10
Major Player

This happened to me a couple of times when I first got my EX1 when I white balanced against a very bright white wall. My exposure might have been too high. It wasnt a problem though. I white balanced against another less bright wall and it was fine. Used the camera very happily without a hitch for many many hours since.
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #11
Trustee

I' ve seen it once but turned camera on and off and it went away. Scared the utter XXXX out f me though and I would love to know what it was.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds