Please Help. Slow Motion Video Plays At Normal Speed in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Please Help. Slow Motion Video Plays At Normal Speed in FCP

hi guys.
i´m having the following problem.
i´ve shot some video at PAL 720/50p, 50 fps.
now that i try to place it in a 25 fps timeline in Final Cut Pro 6, in order to achieve a slow motion effect during playback, nothing happens. the video plays at a normal speed. i´ve played around with all the sequence settings, but nothing seems to help.
what is the exact procedure for making an "overcranked" video footage (shot at 50fps) look like a slow-motion one (25 fps) in the Final Cut pro timeline?
please help.
thanks.

Lord Byron
Aram Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Before shooting, use the S&Q motion option in the menu - 720/25p 50 fps

or

After shooting 720/50p, 50 fps, use your NL editor to slow the speed down by 50 %. Obviously, just placing your clip in a 25 fps timeline is not enough.
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I am shooting 720 25p. I want to have some slo mo. I push my handy little button which turns blue and turn the speed up. Come home and ingest the footage. Pop it into my fcp 720 25p timeline and, voila, slo mo. Am I missing something? (won't be the first time) Or is that what you said in other words?
David Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Major Player

You have the EX1R. Possibly you haven't set up the slow motion frame rate in the S&Q Motion menu. When you push the S&Q button the camera goes into that preset mode. Check your procedure against p75-76 in the manual. You do not need to slow the clip on the timeline (but of course in your NLE you can slow it even more).
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

If you shot 720 50P, you could simply conform the clips to 720 25P in Cinema Tools.

It will slow the clips down in the timeline and you will still have audio, very low pitch.

The pitch can be changed in a program like Digital Performer, Protools or Logic (I think lLogic does it as well).

lt is called formants I think, or something like that. You can change pitch without slowing or speeding audio. Or slow or speed up audio without changing the pitch, it can be very handy to make a v/o fit a timeline.
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Olof,

Cinema Tools is great. But for EX footage I have never had to use Cinema Tools only for POV cameras.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Sponsor: Westside AV

Hi Paul, I never used to use Cinema Tools much either until I got my 5DmkII and it did 30p not 29.97, so I got real used to it. Now that has been fixed in FW from Canon.

There are lots of ways to change the speed of a clip in FCP itself. Cinema Tools is a good way to convert lots of clips at once.

I thought that what was going on here was that the video was not shot in "over crank" but just as 50p.

Busy Summer Paul?
Mine is crazy. Still expecting to shoot the cog Heli this fall.
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Makes sense to use CT for 5D. It is a great piece of software and there is no wait time. For my GoPro cameras we always shoot 720 60fps to have the options of slow mo or normal. CT gives us the options to have both since you can rename the clip.

Flat out Olof but still riding and sailing often.

Look forward to the Cog work and a fall visit.
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #9
Trustee

IME Cinema Tools works, but you have to convert to an intra frame format such as Prores first. At least in FCS2. Not sure about 3.

Might be easier to put the 50p footage into a 50p sequence and slow the framerate down to 50% and turn the frame blending option off. Then nest that sequence into a 25p sequence. I haven't tried that, but could work.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds