Hoodman loupe for EX1: pressure on LCD hinge at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 5th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Hoodman loupe for EX1: pressure on LCD hinge

The XDCAM EX3 LCD has a more robust mounting than that in the EX1 model and I'm curious whether anyone has noticed problems arising from using LCD loupes on the EX1. I might have expected that the extra pressure on the LCD hinge to cause wear, which might reveal itself as irregularities on LCD display: intermittent colour changes, noise, that sort of thing.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I've been using the Hoodman Loupe for a few moths now on my EX1 and have had no issues with the hinge
Old September 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've not had issues to do with the image on the LCD but I'm constantly having to tighten the tiny screw on the LCD (on the camera side) which loosens with the pressure of the hoodman loupe. It's unnerving when the LCD starts getting a bit floppy and I've been meaning to use Loctite on it.
Michael Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

I have been using it now for over a year. I have not had any issues.

I don't leave it on when transporting, I also use a shade a lot of the time when on sticks. So I may not be using it as much as some. I find it best when on the shoulder. But also for critical focusing in the field if I am not using a larger monitor.
Old September 10th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Major Player

I daresay there is no need to apply much pressure on the eyecup and in any case the hinge mechanism can move to relieve excessive pressure. The weight of the loupe isn't an issue.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds