greenish Edge on sharp contrasts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 14th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

greenish Edge on sharp contrasts?

Hey everybody,

i recently discovered something odd with my ex1 and i wantet to check if this is "normal":

When the image is overexposed, i see a 2-3 pixel greenish streak an sharp Dark/Bright-edges, like the ones you see with cromatic aberation.

Here an example:

http://www.nhx-music.de/stuff/overexposed.jpg

But even when the picture is not everexposed these edges are there, but not as obvious:

http://www.nhx-music.de/stuff/normal.jpg (if you enlage this picture you'll see)

My Ex1 had the Prism-Unit replaced some time ago - maybe this isn't adjusted right?

One thing thats really weird is, that i only see those green streaks on the bottom side of a Dark/Bright-edge - when i hold the cam upside down, they are gone.

I used the factory preset-PP for these pictures and did a whitebalance before, so it can't be a problem with the settings.

It would be great if someone of you could have a look at these images and tell if this is a "normal" artefakt or a problem caused by a badly adjusted Lens/Prism-Unit!

Thanks a lot!
Thomas Nibler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Mine has chromatic aberration as well, I think turning detail off helps.
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #3
Trustee

Try shooting thin tree branches against an overexposed sky. Green fringe on one side and magenta on the other.It is shocking but tends to be produced by many cameras. The EX is pretty bad though. I believe this is called prismatic fringing and is actually different than chromatic aberration which is usually blue and red. I can't explain it any better than that though. Fortunately it doesn't pop up all that often. I haven't looked for it on more expensive cameras so i can't comment.

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Major Player

Fringing

I noticed this on some footage from my PDW-700 last week... had to set up facing the sun for an industrial shoot. After some research I turned off the KNEE SAT adjustment which helps... + value adds chroma to highlight/ knee regions of the picture. I have to get back in there and see if there is a - value and what impact it has on the ;look of the picture. Not sure if the EX cameras have this adjustment.

This was with a Fujinon HA17X7.8 HD lens... no ALAC.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds