SxS Software for Snow Leopard and Firmware Upgrade at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 4th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SxS Software for Snow Leopard and Firmware Upgrade

Hey Kids...2 part question.

I have just come into a fairly new MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard (OS10.6) installed and I drawing a mental blank on what software I need to DL and install to read SxS Cards and get the footage into FCP. Can somebody remind me which is the correct software I need?

Also, I haven't shot with the EX3 in a while (been having too much fun with the DSLR's)...and I notice there has been a firmware upgrade (I guess for the new media options and some bug fixes, huh?).

My current EX3 firmware is V 1.04_0084. It appears to upgrade to the latest firmware I have to send the camera in for service. True? If so can sombeody link me to the sony service center page for EX3's. I keep getting to the consumer service center page.

Thanks for the help on these DA questions...

L
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

New camera firmware is user installable but there's a small chance you can brick the camera. Sony will do it for $130 I've been told.

Service
Sony | Services and Programs

Downloads
Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Small chance I could brick the camera? Is that a generalization or a real happenstance with upgrading the firmware from what I currently have?
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Bricking has actually happened to some small number of people. That's why there's some kind of disclaimer on the firmware download. One person said repair was about $3000. Another mentions that if they sent it to Sony Pro in Japan rather than USA service center repair was more like $300 but it took 3 weeks or so.

Most people have no problem doing it themselves although some have reported brief heart stoppage and severe shortness of breath during the process. I've heard it's one of those stressful life experiences that cuts about 5 years off your lifespan. Survivors will often boast about it just as one modestly climbs Mount Everest and then says "Aw shucks it was nothin' "
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It's also likened as a rite of passage into adulthood much like a bar mitzvah or confirmation or even reincarnation depending on one's faith. It can be likened to a faith based experience because there is much prayer involved. Even atheists have been known to pray and pagans will often sacrifice small objects. I hear fasting for 24 hours before before undertaking is common (or is it just the thought of doing it makes it hard to hold down food).

I hear there's a great sense of accomplishment, self satisfaction and attainment upon completion.
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Given your name I wouldn't tempt fate. Call Virge at Midtown
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds