using standard def lens on ex3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 17th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #1
Major Player

using standard def lens on ex3

has anyone else used their standard def lens on the ex3. when i tried it, it worked well and i thought the footage looked nice. it was extremely close to my footage with the stock lens. the other thing that was nice was the fact that this lens is a 14x and this camera wasnt front heavy in the least . i was able to shoot alot longer on the hafl shoulder mount.
i mainly tried this because i knew the weight would be much more balanced.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi, Jim
Yes, I have been using my Canon broadcast 2/3" SD lens on my EX for some time with excellent results. It looks at least as good as the stock Fuji lens, much to my (and the shop where I purchased my camera) surprise. Part of this may be that by using a 2/3" lens, I am using the 'sweet spot' of the lens, but also this was a very high end bit of glass in it's day. I have been told by a broadcast lens repair technician that there is only one element different in this lens from it's HD equivalent. The results I am getting are superb, and certainly do not motivate me to spend a great deal of money on a 'HD' lens.

Also, for what it's worth to anyone using larger broadcast lenses... (either 1/2" or 2/3") my lens repair guy says he has seen a lot of warped lens mounts in EX3s lately from people using these larger (and heavier) lenses. The EX3 is not all that beefy in this area (certainly not compared to it's shoulder-mount designed full size counterparts) and care must be used to not put too much torque on the lens mount, especially with the added weight that a broadcast lens with matte box will add. He suggests using the carry handle as much as possible, especially when hefting the camera onto your shoulder.

So if you have a decent SD lens (especially a 2/3" one) give it a try! Mine looks amazing... but then when it was new, it cost more than twice what the EX3 did. I'm just happy to get some more life out of it... I wasn't ready to consign it to the retired equipment shelf just yet. Plus, my broadcast zoom controller can be used again, and there are some aftermarket cables to supply power to the lens if you are not using the Fuji adapter with power plug.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds