Black blacks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 5th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Trustee

Black blacks

I had an EX camera hooked up to a Panny monitor yesterday and looking at the waveform monitor I found it was impossible to get absolute black, even with the lens hood and iris closed. Changing Black in the PP to -5 to -10 solved the problem. I had a dead straight line with no dancing noise.
Opening the lens hood and iris I didn't notice any harm being done to the image. That is a based on a very quick eyeball though.
I typically do the exact same thing in post to reduce the noise level and save bandwidth for whatever I'm encoding to, doing the same in camera to save bandwidth seems logical enough to me. Anyone think of a reason why I should not leave Black set at -5?
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Bob,

Based on the same observations/experience, I've had all my PP's with negative Black levels since the very early days of using my EX1. The exact value depends on the Gamma curve used in a given PP, but it usually is in the same range of -5 down to -10.

Piotr
Old November 6th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Piotr.
In the past I've wound black gamma down a bit to push the noise down. Next time I have to shoot a lot of black I'll try the alternative of dialing Black down a bit.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Trustee

It may vary with the gamma you're using, but I've had my black at -6 ever since I got the EX-1. I use standard gamma 3. I don't know why they set 0 so high. The HVX did that also. On the HVX if you were shooting with 7.5 set up added, I think black at 0 was correct at 7.5, but if you went to 0 set-up, the Black would only go down to 5 IRE or so. Thus I also ran my blacks somewhere from -4 to -6.

I think that should be the correct way to shoot for maximum tonal values and bandwidth. You don't actually gain any information if you run the black higher, you just wash out the picture. If you want to gain grey scale down there do it with the black stretch or black gain - whatever they call it. Black should be black and that's around -5 or -6.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
Changing Black in the PP to -5 to -10 solved the problem. Anyone think of a reason why I should not leave Black set at -5?
Bob,

Checking & adjusting the black levels on my EX3 & PMW-350 was one of first things I did to my cameras. Both needed to be set down a little to the same waveform setting as you have. Not sure of the numbers but -3 to -5 rings a bell.

I have kept them there ever since and periodic checks reveal that they are sitting nicely at those settings.

I have never encountered any issues with either camera since adjusting the settings downwards.
Cheers
Old November 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

On cinegamma 4 my standard settings are:
Black -3
Black Gamma -2

I also set detail to -10

I think all cameras need some dialing in. Scopes and good calibrated monitors makes this much easier. Modern eval monitors now come with scopes included a real money saver.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds