watching raw footage via HDMI to flatscreen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #1
Major Player

watching raw footage via HDMI to flatscreen

I noticed something curious

I connected my laptop to my bravia HD TV via HDMI, and watched some raw footage shot with my ex1r and my z1

the ex1r footage looked fabulous as always, but the Z1 one looked strange, meaning the colours were overly-saturated, as if there was some sort of weird effect due to using the HDMI versus the composite on the Z1 files.

if I connect the Z1 directly to the same TV using the composite cable, the colours are fine... and they are fine when watching the files on my laptop too.
any ideas as to why the colours of the raw footage change via HDMI to a TV screen?

it reminded me of the notorious issue when previewing files with Vegas, where you need to apply the RGB filter etc etc....

could be a issue of colour space?
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Major Player

I found this on a forum
2- Color data is transmitted differently for PC monitors and TVs with PCs sending colors on a range of 0-255 while TVs expect it on a range of 16-235. If you have a mismatch, the colors can look either washed-out or over saturated.

that looks interesting....what's strange is that the colours are fine with the ex1r footage, as if the colour code was inherently different
Federico Perale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds