EX1R as HD player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1R as HD player

The EX1R works perfectly when looking at raw camera footage. I just connect via HDMI to my plasma TV.
What I'd also like to be able to do is use the camera as an HD player once in a while. It would be great to be able to use it on location to play demo videos on a client's HDTV. Has anyone found a way to put an edited, finished video back on a SxS card so that it can play in the camera? Or is it just too difficult to recreate the BPAV file structure and formats needed to do this?
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Trustee

Expensive player, huh:)
wouldn't it make more sence to get an iPad, or even better tablet from major manufacturer that coming very soon and there you go, you have an inexpensive and stand alone player for your demo videos plus some other basic computer functionality.
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Look for this

WD TV Live

I have one and it can reproduce even the native xdcam ex files (with latest firmware)

greetings
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Julio & Buba, thanks for replying. Good ideas, I will be getting a tablet or a little netbook to play HD video at client meetings, conferences, etc. Have seen the WD device and it looks interesting too, especially as a way of repeating a video all day long at a trade show. Obviously wouldn't want to use the EX for those situations! The idea behind this is just to teach the EX1R a new trick which might be useful occasionally -- and I like the idea of not having to carry around an extra piece of gear when it's not necessary.
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Veas P. View Post
Look for this

WD TV Live

I have one and it can reproduce even the native xdcam ex files (with latest firmware)

greetings
That's great to hear Julio. So it will it play the MXF files. Do you also happen to know if it can play the tative files created by the nanoFlash?

Thanks,
Garrett
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

A number of laptops come with HDMI or DVI connections. Thats all you need to play full quality video on a HDMI monitor.

I do it all the time. Works great.
Old January 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dobie View Post
Has anyone found a way to put an edited, finished video back on a SxS card so that it can play in the camera? Or is it just too difficult to recreate the BPAV file structure and formats needed to do this?
You can't export video back to the card and have the camera play it. You will have to find an external player to display any edited content.
Old January 7th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris...
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Garret:

It plays the mp4 files out of the ex1 file structure, but it doesnīt play MXF files from my nanoflash (50 mbit 422) donīt know if it can play .mov Iīll have to test this.

I use the WD Live on two ways, to check the content when it gets transferred to an external hard drive from SxS Cards ( this was just an incidental discovered feature when I accidentally plugged my back up drive into de WD Live)
and to display finished content edited in Final Cut and exported through compressor into a H.264 file.

itīs cheap and has a great functionality.

greetings
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #10
Major Player

You can export edited video back to an sxs card and play it back through the camera. It is not simple. If you need to learn how, seach this form for a thread I wrote detailing the process.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #11
Inner Circle

It's easy to do with a Mac and FCP. Although you do have to be aware of the 4Gb file size limit imposed by the FAT formatting of the SxS cards.
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #12
New Boot

Hello,

Somebody could confirm that the WD TV Live is able to playback native XDCAM .mov files ?
In this case It would be very usefull for theater show.

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds