USB Pen Drive Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

USB Pen Drive Help

Hi Guys,

I have been asked to provide files on a USB pen drive. I film Rugby with an EX3 and EX1, and go into a small disribution amp via the BNC out of these cams. The amp has a spare phono out. Does anybody know of any sort of device that I can get the game to record live onto a USB pen type device. The coaches have asked if this is poss as then they dont need to tether a laptop to my cam/amp, and can simply plug in the USB drive and drag the file into their analysis software. It would help if the file type can be specified and have different quality settings so as not to produce huge files.

Any ideas or suggestions as to how to do this,

cheers

Stuart
Stuart Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Trustee

I'd recommend H.264 as the file type. If you Google "H.264 Recorder" you'll find some hardware options, but they are expensive.

The free way to do it would be to transfer the files from you SxS card to a computer. Then use Sony's free XDCAM Clip Browser software to view, trim and export them. You have a choice of WMV or two types of H.264. Then transfer the finished files to the USB flash drive and you're done. The only issue with my suggestion is that the XDCAM Clip Browser Export functions are watermarked with the MainConcept logo. But if the coaches are just reviewing the footage, then that may not be an issue.

There are many other software options you can look into if the watermark doesn't work for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds