SanDisk Extreme Pro ExpressCard Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Trustee

SanDisk Extreme Pro ExpressCard Adapter

Introduced today is a new card reader for laptop users, the SanDisk Extreme Pro ExpressCard Adapter. The ExpressCard/34 adapter is designed for fast transfers with UHS-1 cards, including Extreme Pro SDHC as well as UHS-1 SDHC and SDXC cards from SanDisk and others.

Ready to Run: The SanDisk Extreme Pro ExpressCard Adapter for SD memory cards (Photo courtesy SanDisk)

http://www.robgalbraith.com/data/1/r...sd_adapter.jpg

The SanDisk Extreme Pro ExpressCard Adapter is compatible with both Mac and Windows computers equipped with ExpressCard/34 or ExpressCard/54 slots A driver is required.

ExpressCards can communicate internally with the computer over slower USB 2.0 or faster PCIe data paths. SanDisk's adapter goes the PCIe route. This means the new adapter, if it's well designed, should be capable of delivering the full speed capabilities of UHS-1 cards like the Extreme Pro. It's compatible with non-UHS-1 and SDXC (capacities over 32GB) cards too.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro ExpressCard Adapter is US$49.99 when purchased direct from SanDisk's online store. It should be possible to place an order for the adapter as soon as today. Shipping is to commence in early February.
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Trustee

This sounds like it might be an ideal SxS card replacement. More speed means that it might be able to handle overcranking. Correct?

I have no experience with this type of stuff as I've only ever used SxS card's in our EX3. Just thought I'd share.
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Nice looking case, but it needs to be tested as with any adapter or card for this purpose. In terms of general use, the mostly negative user reviews of a similar one seem to be restricted to the Mac.

SanDisk ExtremeŽ Pro? ExpressCard? Adapter

SDADX6-CF-G20 (for Compact Flash Cards)

The one you linked looks identical (on the outside):
http://www.sandisk.com/products/read...xc-uhs-i-cards

SDDR-300-RG56 (for SDHC and SDXC cards).

No reviews yet.

John

Last edited by John Peterson; January 18th, 2011 at 06:48 AM.
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Might be worth waiting until the likes of MxM and MxR have tested this device. If it works then it might be possible for them to produce a proper EX version that does away with that attachment on the end that would prevent the doors from closing. The speed increase would be welcome if the claims are true.

Has to be reliable though. We've now got to a stage where the modern USB based cards are very reliable when used with the correct SDHC media, so speed aside, these new cards have a lot to live up to.
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Endgadget reported this today, clearly stating that SanDisk can only achieve 45MB/s transfer speed which is no where close to the UHS-I spec. Apparently Toshiba cards have been tested to achieve 95MB/s and 80MB/s read/write. However, as DSLR camera manufacturers are claiming to have the firmware to support UHS-I most don't come close to the advertised transfer rates.

In our case with EX camera's, Sony would need to provide a firmware update to support the UHS-I protocol, if that is even possible with their hardware implementation of SxS and its unique protocol. Would Sony really shot themselves in the foot again is the question? Cheers.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Speaking of adapters, has anybody here bought and tested any of the recent Sony-branded adapters? Either this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/657501-REG/Sony_MEAD_MS01_MEAD_MS01_Memory_Stick_Adapter.html
or this one?:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/679101-REG/Sony_MEAD_SD01_MEAD_SD01_SDHC_Card_Adapter.html
They both came out but I never heard much about them after that.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

a colleague of mine bought two sony's sdhc adapters and uses them together with ex1r and sandisk extreme class 10 32gb cards.

nothing out of ordinary, they just - work.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post

They both came out but I never heard much about them after that.
At twice the price of an MxM card, you'd have to be feeling quite well off to be buying one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds