Is there a way to charge EX1 batteries from DC power system? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Is there a way to charge EX1 batteries from DC power system?

I am headed into a situation where I have to manage my power footprint carefully. Gas for generators is expensive and hard to get. Solar panels with batteries is also available.

I can take my inverter if I have to but would rather not. Is there a way to charge SWIT 8U62 batteries from the solar power system without the energy loss of an inverter then AC to DC charger?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Only peripherally related to your question but in my experience working in the developing world, WE always had a car and driver at our disposal for getting around and made CONSTANT use of the 12v cigarette or power point outlets to charge using SMALL output DC-AC converters and then plugged in the normal charger.

Of course if you don't have a vehicle, you are back to your initial question.
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Sponsor: Westside AV

As far as I know no one makes a specific EXcam charger that can use 12v (11-17 is what you get from a car battery).

Maybe someone here knows of a third party 12v DC charger for Sony / Swit EX batts.

There are many inverters available. There is some loss but that is your only bet I think.

My new production vehicle a Chevy Traverse actually has 110AC outlets built in, I use them all the time for charging cam batts. Earlier in my Tahoe I used an AB brand inverter, it served me for 10 years w/o problems, it had a circuit that cut power if voltage dropped below 13v I think, so you always have enough power to start the Truck.
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Contributor

Our chargers will do that with the help of a DC adapter. It is covered here FAQ scroll down to the middle of the page
HTH
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Alex. Thanks. That solves it. To leave bread crumbs for those who follow, the voltage regulator site doesn't have a URL to the part number but I have included a screen shot. It's listed under DC to DC Chargers section of PowerStream Power Supplies and Chargers for OEMs in a Hurry

TC200-EX Charger: Battery charger TC200-EX 2 position [TC200-EX] - $289.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a way to charge EX1 batteries from DC power system?-screen-shot-2011-01-20-8.59.46-pm.png  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
Contributor

You are welcome Les. I suggest you check with the Solar Panel manufacturer to see what max. voltage it might develop on a sunny day, to make sure the converter will not get damaged with too much...
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds