Ipad as a field monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Ipad as a field monitor?

I was watching a video on my iphone 4 and am amazed at how clear and sharp it is. It got me wondering if there is any way to use an Ipad which has the same quality display as a field monitor.

Sorry if its been covered before, but could not find it when searching.

Seems would just be a simple app and cable that would go from EX1 to ipad. Sure would make buying one easy.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Major Player

That would be sweet!

If it is possible it would be a good business to start. I would think some hardware would be needed to encode to h.264 on the fly because I doubt an iPad has the band width for full 1080 video.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:20 AM   #3
Trustee

Denny, even if you have an iPad it would seem to me that a good sized monitor intended for the purpose would have tripod sockets etc and conectors ready would be a better bet. It would also be less "stealable". This last would be my main concern - ironically I bet hot iPads are easier to sell than even EX1s!

Our 7inch monitor clamps to the tripod head beside the camera, is robust in a metal case, takes composite and Y/C inputs and cost £70 on eBay.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Philip, you're right, there are no doubt better field monitors (made just for the purpose), but I'm with Denny and Kevin on this one, because some of us already have an iPad (I actually got it for work reasons: I'm using it as part of a teleprompter set-up, and it works really well).
I'd love to avoid spending more money on a Marshall or whatever, if we can figure out how to make an iPad work.
Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Major Player

If it becomes possible, you can bet that there will be many mounting options, heck I would even love the option for the iphone 4, the display is just amazing.

I know there are better options, but if you do not have an Ipad or monitor and the ipad would work I bet many would buy the ipad. Although not the best choice for monitor, how many monitors can surf the net, show your portfolio, check emails etc.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Trustee

You see Denny, that's where I'm seriously challenged. I stand in awe of my younger colleagues who can make a presentation, answer their emails and shoot a programme at the same time! That's real multi-tasking. I josh of course!
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Sending the video via WiFi would really expand the usability of a system like this plus it would be a lot easier than going through Apple for a hard wired connection.

Here you go, I think I found it! All you need is money.

http://www.dvbgear.com/video_encoder...h_hd-sdi_input

Last edited by Kevin Spahr; February 3rd, 2011 at 04:06 PM. Reason: found a link
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Saw this at a recent nyc show. Its downfall is has an 8 second delay for live video. Teathered it is instant.

Dano
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Major Player

Wow, 8 second delay! I thought there would be some delay but not anything as long as 8 seconds.

The fact that $2000 would get you a nice monitor kinda puts this in the "very specialized" tool category anyways.
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Major Player

I think I would prefer a monitor with an untouched screen...
Old February 19th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Trustee

Teradek's Cube: Camera-Mounted Video Encoder

(quote from their home page)
*Latency measured by independent third party testers. iPad’s native video decoder adds approximately 10 seconds of latency. An RTP solution for iPad will be available shortly to eliminate the latency issue.

(I have no idea what RTP stands for)
Old February 21st, 2011, 02:21 AM   #12
New Boot

Re: Ipad as a field monitor?

RTP might refer to the Real-Time-Protocol as used in many VoIP applications, meaning you send UDP data stream which are faster and real time when compared with TCP protocol data. But not reliable as TCP.

Regards,
Armando.
Armando Accardo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds