projects shot with EX1R? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 16th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #1
Major Player

projects shot with EX1R?

1) Anyone know of a list of projects/films/tv shows shot with an EX1R?

2) and when people say the EX1R is acceptable quality to air on tv networks - is that at 35MBPS 4:2:0 recorded onto the SXS cards? or at 50MBPS 4:2:2 recorded on an external device?

thank you!!
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Major Player

SONY PMW-EX1R on Vimeo

But not sure of a list as such. Pretty sure they're talking about nano flash at 50 and 422.
Kent Beeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the links. Nice looking shots.

and yes, I did mean nanoflash at 50mbps. I was really looking for a list of what projects/tv programs had used EX1R @ 50mbps...and what networks they aired on...

I'm looking forward to the delivery of my EX1R!
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Robert,I have found this on sony.it..here's the link:Sony : Produzioni cinematografiche a costicontenuti con il PMW-EX1 : United Kingdom
it's a low cost Britain film shot with three EX1,shot in 25p for a cinema look.
the link to the site is in Italian but maybe you can use google translator.
I know also that a famous director here in Italy have shot a film that went to all theaters and with famous Italian actors, but I can't remember the name of the film, I know that Sony was one of the sponsors, it was in the same year Ex1r came out.
Good luck with your new camera, it's a great one, I don't have it, I have the big brother PMW-350,but i have used the Ex1r and hope someday to get it.
cheers
Samer
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

here is the link for the italian film trailer:YouTube - Trailer SUL MARE regia Alessandro D'Alatri - WWW.RBCASTING.COM
I was wrong, it was shot with Ex3.the name is: sul mare
Samer
Samer Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

There was an huge TV production in 2008 here in Berlin. 80 teams (!) filmed with 80 EX1s and some shoulder cams in 1280x720/50p, all on 32 GB SxS, lots of places and people in Berlin for 24 hours. The organisation offloaded all the SxS cards several times, replaced broken cams and so on - all within 24 hours.

It took one year to cut the 750 hours of footage to a 24-hour documentation. The documentation was broadcasted on big German TV stations like RBB (belongs to the main German TV station ARD), European wide on arte and others. One can buy it now on DVDs.

This project was an huge success and very interesting:

Main page
zero one film: Idee

Trailer
zero one film: 24h Berlin

Making of (21 minutes)
zero one film: Making of 24h Berlin

amazon 8 DVD-edition: B002S9DR42

Last edited by Markus Klatt; February 17th, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
Markus Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Major Player

I think a number of scenes in Public Enemy was shot with an EX1 - from what I read mostly tight shots in the autos and scenes when running through the woods.

I also read that the camcorder scenes in District 9 were done with an EX1.

There is a great video on the Sony web site of Bob Primes and he thinks these cameras are good enough to shoot a major movie

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM EX

For my documentary I edited the film in 35mb 4.2.0 and then exported the project to 4.2.2 ProRes HQ then did a bunch of work in Color and it came out great. There is no banding in areas of large color such as the sky, etc. I've had a number of comments from people wanting to know what I used.

Oh I forgot, I shot some stuff for a client, we took it to a local station for an uplink and the guy at the station said "wow what did you shoot this with?"
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The BBC use EX1's with NanoFlashes to shoot "Dr Who Confidential". "The Bear Family and Me" was shot on EX3's with NanoFlashes, again a BBC production (It might still be on the BBC I-Player). Parts of "An Idiot Abroad" used EX1's and NanoFlashes (Mentorn/Sky HD). There are many others as well.
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:18 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I've posted this elsewhere before, but the show I produce is shot with the EX1, except for the underwater shots.

YouTube - Hawaii Goes Fishing, Demo Reel 2010

And the shots of Cindy, our host, is greenscreen. She's never outdoors for the segment intros. All captured onto SxS or MxR cards.
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The shows "All worked up" and "Lizard Lick Towing" are shot with a combination of EX1 and EX1r cameras. They air on TrueTV.
Old February 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #11
Major Player

Dean: are you using the Nanoflash for the green screen material, or just plain old EX 4:2:0 video?
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:47 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Re: projects shot with EX1R?

Bill...

The greenscreen is shot 4:2:0 with the SxS card.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds