Sonnet SDHC Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Sonnet SDHC Adapter

I am in the process of testing the Sonnet SD-SXS-E34 Expresscard Adapter with the following SDHC cards:

Older 16 GB Transcend Blue Stripe Class 6
Older 16 GB Transcend Red Stripe Class 6
Older 16 GB SanDisk Ultra II Class 4
Patriot LX 16 GB Class 10
Patriot LX 32 GB Class 10

EX1 with firmware 1.20

So far absolutely no errors.

Door fully closes. Cards click in like the MxM and MxR and Hoodman non-lockable adapters.

PROVANTAGE: SD-SXS-E34 SDHC Memory Card Adapter for SXS Camera Slot & EXPRESS34 Slot By Sonnet Technologies (Overview)

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sonnet SDHC Adapter

I wonder why they bothered to enter the market so late. Do they have any advantage over MxR or MxM?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I wonder why they bothered to enter the market so late. Do they have any advantage over MxR or MxM?
===========================================
I have no idea when they entered the market. I just happened across it online a week ago. Provantage was selling them for a relatively low price. They were warehoused in PA and I am in NY. They appear to work exactly the same way as MxR and MxM non-locking adapters. Shipping was cheap as well. Delivery was quick.

John
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Follow-up:

Used these for three days shooting a musical. Performed flawlessly with Patriot LX SDHC 32GB cards.

John
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Major Player

What do you mean by 'non-locking adapters', please? Is the adapter not flush with the camera door so in cannot be shut completely? Are there adapters on the market that allow the door to shut completely?
Thanks,
Luc
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
What do you mean by 'non-locking adapters', please? Is the adapter not flush with the camera door so in cannot be shut completely? Are there adapters on the market that allow the door to shut completely?
Thanks,
Luc
An MxR adaptor will not only allow you to shut the camera door but also locks and covers over the enclosed SDHC card to provide a secure all in one unit that you can handle the same way you would an SxS card.
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #7
Major Player

OK, that's clear. But I read here: "they appear to work exactly the same way as MxR and MxM non-locking adapters". Does that mean MxR offers locking AND non-locking adapters? I don't find any reference to this on the web.
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
OK, that's clear. But I read here: "they appear to work exactly the same way as MxR and MxM non-locking adapters". Does that mean MxR offers locking AND non-locking adapters? I don't find any reference to this on the web.
I don't believe MxM offer non-locking any more.

Last edited by Marcus Durham; May 15th, 2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #9
Major Player

OK, thanks. I'm new to the EX-format, so I'm trying to find my way in the adapters-readers-cards-minefield...
Old May 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Major Player

The only disadvantage of the non-locking adapter (if you want to call it a disadvantage) is that when you push the adapter into the camera with the SDHC card in it, you have to grab the adapter from the edges so you don't accidently eject the card. The SDHC cards go into the spring loaded adapter by pushing in firmly against the internal spring until it clicks into place. Then you push the card to release it from the spring loaded adapter. Thus if you push the adapter into the camera from the center you might eject the card from the adapter.

The MxM and MxR locking adapters have a latch that covers the cards. They aren't spring loaded (AFAIK) . You push the card into the adapter and close the latch.

It's really no big deal. I have three Sonnet adapters now. They are each around $44 delivered in one day from the Provantage Pennsylvania warehouse. The MxM and MxR adapters are at least as good. I bought the Sonnet adapters because they were local and inexpensive with low delivery costs.
Your choice.
I also use my six Kensington adapters that are now discontinued. They stick out, but most of the time I don't care. If I shoot outdoors, it's nice to have the door closed to protect the insides of the card slots from dust, etc. Thus the Sonnet adapters.

John
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post

The MxM and MxR locking adapters have a latch that covers the cards. They aren't spring loaded (AFAIK) . You push the card into the adapter and close the latch.
The MxM's have spring loaded SD slots. It's just their slots are slightly deeper into the card.
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The advantage sonnet have is their dealer network. In Europe they are distributed by Holdan who are also Panasonic, Blackmagic, datavideo and many others so the adapters should be readily available. I recently reviewed the Sonnet QiO and was very impressed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds