EX3 manual white balance problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 26th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 manual white balance problem

Alright, here is the issue:

Last night I was shooting a sporting event inside an arena. I was using my EX3 with my Nanoflash.

I set my manual white balance with a vortex media warm card under the lights in the middle of the court before the game.

I was recording for about thirty minutes...then the camera thought it knew better than me and preformed and AWB during the middle of my shoot! I did not touch anything, the manual balance was still selected.

This has happened to me once before, now it is starting to tick me off. I was just getting b roll, so I can colour balance in post, but it is a pain.

Does anyone have experience with this/know what is going on?

Thanks,

Brent
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: EX3 manual white balance problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hallman View Post
.then the camera thought it knew better than me and preformed and AWB during the middle of my shoot! I did not touch anything, the manual balance was still selected.
Would that have been position B?

There's an option to set position B to AutoTrace White.

However, you can still hit the White Set button. As you've found, that doesn't prevent the the camera from getting distracted and letting the colour temp drift off...
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Matt,

The camera was set to position 'A'..... so that is why I am confused...the camera should not be doing a balance by itself in that position.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #4
New Boot

I had same experience too! EX1R
Hirata Tomoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Just a thought.... there wasn't a change to the power going to the lighting of the arena? I've see quite large swings in colour temperature when the mains voltage has fluctuated or possibly the lamps have been dimmed.

It would be more worrying if the white balance change was happening mid shot under sunlight.
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Alister,

I balanced under the lights on the floor of the arena...then after awhile I went up into the stands to get a different angle.

The lighting in the stands was quite dim compared to that of the arena floor where I was still aimed and recording at.

I can see how that may affect the White Balance if I had it set to the ATW position....but why would it change on me if I set the white balance manually in position 'A'?

It's happened twice to me, both in arenas, in the same kind of shooting environment (balanced under the lights on the floor, then record up in the stands).

-Brent
Old March 6th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If the lighting in the arena is on dimmers or some other control panel it is possible that the white balance can change as any dimming or control of the lamps can lead to a change in color temperature. It may or may not be your issue, just throwing in some options.
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Please forgive me if this does not help, but sometimes I hit buttons on my camera while carrying it, or climbing stairs, or whatever. If you accidently hit the white balance calibration button on the front, it would activate the procedure without you knowing, especially if you are carrying the camera and not looking through the eyepiece. Maybe you could put a protective cover over the button with cardboard and tape and see if that helps?
Dana Kupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 02:25 AM   #9
New Boot

I think it is not an accident, in my case, I shooting in outdoor (snowing day) and use manually white balance position "A" (I never use AWB, also position "B" is set at Non-AWB already on the menu), EX1R suddenly jump to another white balance, luckly, the difference is big, so I note it immediately. May be you can tell me it is cause of low temperature, the temperature of that day is -3C
Hirata Tomoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Regular Crew

To respond to Alister: Lights were constant throughout the whole game, no changes in brightness, everything was stable.

To Dana: I did not touch anything, the camera was on the tripod while I was recording and I was very aware of all of my settings during filming.

To Hirata: Both times it happened to me, I was inside...about 20 Celsius.

I think the next time I'm at the repair shop I'll get them to take a look.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds