Using the Nexto 2700 as an SxS backup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Using the Nexto 2700 as an SxS backup

Since I use an MxM SSD Recorder with a hard disk to backup my SxS cards in the camera, I picked up the less expensive Nexto DI 2700 to wrangle my SDHC and CF cards from other cameras.

The Nexto DI 2700 is a nice device that had plenty of battery juice to backup 50GB of cards without showing decline on the battery meter. This device copied data at about 1GB per minute.

On a lark, I used XDCAM Browser to fill up a Hoodman SxS adapter with 32gb SDHC and put the SDHC card into the Nexto 2700. Pleasantly, the Nexto copied it to drive. Thus, If I'm willing to shuffle the SxS card data to the Hoodman/SDHC combo in camera, I can take advantage of the space on the Nexto for a backup copy. It's not ideal but compared to the $1800 for the NextTo 2500, it's an option. For another $233, the Nexto 2725 supports hooking the EX1 up directly using the USB port.

Another nice thing about the Nexto is the Sync function. With a USB drive formatted by the Nexto, you can plug in the drive and it will synchronize files between the two. Powering the second drive depends on the drive. YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:39 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Using the Nexto 2700 as an SxS backup

Les, just one word of caution the importance of which will depend on a) your NLE and b) how much time you're prepared to spend manipulating the data.

I had a Nexto (sorry I can't recall the model number, possibly 2500) to free up some of my CF cards from MRC1s in the field in an emergency but I sent it back under our selling rules here for a full refund because Liquid couldn't "see" down into the rather arcane path in which the Nexto stored the data.

Of course I could have moved the data around but that introduced risk of loss (reduction of which was the original objective) and time. If I'd been simply backing up it would have been OK but I never suffered any loss on the 12 CF cards we used.

However, I met with one of the company execs at a recent event in London and he assured me that the only model they now sell in the UK (for SxS cards) uses a much less deep path and hence has none of the problems I mentioned.

What did strike me was the good manufacturing quality but then they're Korean. The only other consideration is whether the cost justifies the purchase or whether you'd be better off buying more SxS cards.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Using the Nexto 2700 as an SxS backup

Interesting. Thanks.

I feel I tested it pretty well using XDCAM EX Clip Browser, and FCP 7/Log and Transfer plugin. The Nexto preserved the file structure.

To reiterate, for me it is a second copy of the data with the primary copy being an MxM SSD recorder with a low power streaming hard disk.

Here's the economic calculation:
Nexto DI 500GB 2725 with SxS compatibility $533
Nexto DI 500GB 2700 $300
MxM SSD Recorder with 320GB HD $232

So for the same dollar value, I have dual backup for both video and stills in the field albeit with some extra workflow during SxS card wrangling which is not to be ignored and evaluated for risk.

Also, not having a USB drive eliminates the power and drive from cost, weight, space and power footprint. The MxM runs off the camera battery and the Nexto it's internal battery so the only chargers needed are for the camera and the Nexto.

I'll follow up with my thoughts after some field experience.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds