Livestream w/ EX3 + MXO2 LE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 7th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Livestream w/ EX3 + MXO2 LE

On the advice of a few folks on multiple forums I purchased the MXO2 LE to stream a live event to Livestream. My setup was a 2007 MacBook Pro, a video switcher (Panasonic HS50N) and 3 x Sony EX3s. I took an audio feed from the audio tech and fed it into the MXO via XLR.

Connectivity was easy, Livestream interface was easy, and it looked great. However, when I got home I watched the recorded streams off of the Livestream site and noticed an audio delay off at least a second or so. In post production this would be crazy, but in streaming there's a bit more leeway and the client wasn't bothered, but I was and would to figure it out.

I was streaming on a Pro account with a dedicated Ethernet line so the connectivity seemed solid, but I wondered if you'd ever experienced this before? I thought it could have been the board feed, but then I also wondered if perhaps because we looped the video switcher through a video monitor if that introduced latency to the video as well. Any thoughts?
Christoph Gelfand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Livestream w/ EX3 + MXO2 LE

More than likely it is your switcher. Switchers usually have some sort of latency. To offset this you would need some sort of audio delay to get them synced properly. That has been my experience working in venues with switchers and IMAG
Ryan Sarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This makes sense. Any suggestions on reasonably priced audio delay boxes? Livestream seemed to imply that the issue was in the MXO2 because they don't officially support the device- however it works fine, save for the slight audio delay.

The hardest part is properly testing the stream where you can see audio and video together...
Christoph Gelfand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Major Player

If it's simply adding a delay to an analogue signal then any audio delay effects unit will do the job.
It might be something as simple as a guitar effects pedal, through to a more advanced 19 inch rack system.

You can hopefully work out the exact latency by maybe recording the stream and filming a clapper board, or just clapping in vision, then work out the frame delay accordingly.

In fact having your post again, I think you mean the video was delayed, hence you need an audio delay. Just to clarify.
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #5
Tourist

Chris,

Did you get the delay issue figured out? I to am about to start broadcasting feeds filmed with a switcher onto LiveStream. Did you buy the premium account from LiveStream for the month? Have you been satisfied with the service? I am going to double check right now my audio/ video synch. For certain events it's not a big deal but for others that could be seriously distracting.
Charles Grinbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Was the audio in advance of the picture, or behind it?
Was the advance/(delay) consistent?
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds