BBC News footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 14th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

BBC News footage

I've been noticing that the footages done on BBC News cams from various part of the world look different to the ones being broadcast on other channels.

I presume that the BBC NEWS is done on other cam than EX1R, but still I was just wondering if anyone could contribute some PP setting for EX1R which could match the look of BBC News footages.
( I hope that such PP has not been filed earlier here, if yes I'm sorry and pls. provide the link)
Thanks in advance..
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: BBC News footage

Looks different in what way? Can you be more specific?
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Andy,
It seems to me that their settings are more close to "film look" than to TV.
The colours, the tones feel more cine type, richer-deeper than just an orderly TV look.
This is to compared to other news channels under same TV (monitor) setting.
I've noticed this "same setting" on various BBC footages coming from various places of the globe, so thought that they had given specific settings to camera operators.

I like that look in deed that's why I was wondering if someone here films for BBC on EX1R or with XDCAM and could share the PP settings. I do have the PP settings suggested on this forum set but could not achieve the same.
( I also doubt that they would treat the news footages afterwards during the edit, as it would make more sense to set their cams. Of course I could experiment on my EX1R but asking around might be a faster option)
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I haven't been paying attention lately but it used to be that North American television always had more colour saturation than European broadcasts. TV in Europe looked more realistic to me. If you want deeper hues and saturation why not try the 'hi sat' setting:

picture profile > set > matrix > select > hi sat

and make sure you turn the setting on before you exit the menu.

- Don

Last edited by Don Greening; March 15th, 2011 at 12:45 AM. Reason: typo
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:38 AM   #5
Trustee

Most footage will be shot flat and colour graded at a later stage. For news coverage they will have a preset in the system that applies grading on-the-fly. Of course the grading will have all been worked out by technicians.

I know many videographers want to see everything clean and colour corrected straight out of camera, but this isn't necessarily going to be the best method for working, unless you're into same day edits for weddings and even then in my opinion it isn't the best solution.

A flat shot will give you far more scope to fine tune the final output. A shot that has been altered in camera will have been pushed one way or the other, which may limit the amount of corrections that can be applied at a later stage.

Stills photographers have the luxury of shooting RAW files, we don't, unless you invest in a Red system, so the best solution is to shoot as flat as possible - which will probably look awful until graded.

You might want to take a look at this book Color Correction Handbook - Alexis Van Hurkman - Peachpit Press - $59.99 - includes a DVD - ISBN 978-0-321-71311-7
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila Cser View Post
I've been noticing that the footages done on BBC News cams from various part of the world look different to the ones being broadcast on other channels.

I presume that the BBC NEWS is done on other cam than EX1R, but still I was just wondering if anyone could contribute some PP setting for EX1R which could match the look of BBC News footages.
( I hope that such PP has not been filed earlier here, if yes I'm sorry and pls. provide the link)
Thanks in advance..
I have noticed this but I think it's more likely that in some of these war torn countries there is a lack of bandwidth so they're throwing a field away which would give a sort of film look?
Mick
Mick Mearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
I haven't been paying attention lately but it used to be that North American television always had more colour saturation than European broadcasts. TV in Europe looked more realistic to me. If you want deeper hues and saturation why not try the 'hi sat' setting:

picture profile > set > matrix > select > hi sat

and make sure you turn the setting on before you exit the menu.

- Don
I always thought that PAL had more color saturation than NTSC?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Perhaps. My statement wasn't based on science or facts. It was just my observation. Even if there is more colour sat. in PAL that doesn't mean they used it.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I always thought that PAL had more color saturation than NTSC?

John
It's not that PAL has MORE stauration exactly but the location of the colour sharing sites is different (4:2:0 versus 4:1:1 which has always seemed to me aesthetically to have more beautiful colour)... This is of course assuming that the broadcaster isn't sourcing and BROADCASTING in 4:2:2...
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for your inputs and advises.
If you actually check their News clips those look far better IMHO than most others, the image is much crisper and better quality.( I don't work 4 them) That is most probably because of their cams I suppose, but still it's either graded later ( Vincent thanks for the book tip) or just done with a nice PP setting :-)
I do remember that we had some post on BBC's recommendation on settings just can't find that post...
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #11
Trustee

Here we go

BBC - R&D - Publications - WHP034 - Addendum 27

Click on the Download button located on the left hand side.
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Many thnks Vincent
Old March 16th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Here we go

BBC - R&D - Publications - WHP034 - Addendum 27

Click on the Download button located on the left hand side.
Thank you!
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds