Huge SxS Price Increase at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 17th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Trustee

Huge SxS Price Increase

Just noticed the 32GB Pro went to $1009.95 on B&H from 879 and SxS-1A went from $579 to $746.

On Abel Cine's website, no prices are shown for SxS cards. However, Tapeworks still has normal pricing.

Last I heard, only a few factories were damaged having to do with Blu-ray discs, magnetic heads and batteries.

Has anyone seen other spikes in prices?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Huge SxS Price Increase

I am not surprised about a price increase but I am surprised it has happened so quickly.

The value of the Yen has shot up since the earthquake/nuclear disaster. Counter intuitive, yes. I heard that a lot of flash ram facilities in general were destroyed (not Sony specific). Not sure if that plays into the SxS card siutation or not.

I am wondering if the price of cameras from all the Japanese manufacturers are going to shoot up as well.

It should be kept in mind that memory inventories are deliberately kept low, in general, due to price volatility.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Are we going to have the same people jump in here and state what they usually state when many of us use SDHC instead of SxS of other "official" media?:

"You get what you pay for".

Markets are markets. You don't get what you pay for. You get what the market determines it will bear in terms of price. Today's Economics 101.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Major Player

I wonder if this is retailers exploiting the situation or if there are supply chain issues. The problem with SxS is the supply chain is so narrow which is how the prices are controlled. There's no interest from any other company in bringing out their own version because the market is small which would bring prices down. The high price is down to lack of competition and it being a tiny market. After all, how many SxS cards are sold compared to Compact Flash or SDHC every day?

SDHC may rise but not hugely, as production is not just from a single source. Sandisk state they are 500 miles from the disaster zone and their plants were only down for a short time and resumed production the following day. Overall impact on their output is "minimal".

Which begs the question, don't Sandisk produce the SxS cards for Sony?

As for other goods who knows. Companies like Sony operate globally these days although all my cameras were made in Japan itself, even my VG10 which I half expected to be made in China.
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
Which begs the question, don't Sandisk produce the SxS cards for Sony?
They used to but I don't know if that's still the case. It's generally believed that the "S by S" moniker stands for "Sony by Sandisk."

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 03:44 AM   #6
Major Player

In the year that I've owned my EX1 I've never used any SxS cards, I use SDHC 32Gb Transcend Class 10 cards which work flawlessly - two cards give me almost 4 hours of shooting time.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Trustee

The bottom line on all this is, don't panic buy! The price of memory will drop again, it just seems that there are a few sharp people out there who will exploit every situation. Aren't most memory cards made in China anyway?
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #8
Major Player

Good advice Vincent.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds