will ClipBrowser allow me to export audio-only file? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1
Major Player

will ClipBrowser allow me to export audio-only file?

Hi there,
I'm on a shoot, not in my office, so I can't export to MXF and import into Avid as I'll do when I get home.
But I'd like to be able to export an interview, through ClipBrowser, to send to someone who can transcribe it.
I only need audio.
I'm not surprised that ClipBrowser doesn't have an audio-only option in Export, but when I export the interview as a small H.264 file (which, if I could do this, I could then extract the audio from with Episode or something), it doesn't seem to include any audio.
When I go into 'Details', it seems the audio codec is greyed out. Does this mean I can't export to my desktop as a smallish video file, that I can then extract the audio from? (I'm on a MacBook Pro, by the way).
It's not the end of the world, because I'll be back in my office tomorrow night, but it annoys me that I can't do this.
thanks for any advice,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: will ClipBrowser allow me to export audio-only file?

Did you buy the Main Concept Conversion Pack license for the H.264 output transcoding, or are you running the transcoder in demo mode?
I had thought that in demo mode you get audio for the first 30 seconds of a take, then silence. (Picture has a watermark)
The audio codec in 'details' would probably be grayed out but visible - meaning 'this is the audio codec and you can't change it within H264.'
I normally make an MXF of the takes I want to transcribe, open them in SoundForge, and do a 'save as' to an MP3 format. The process is very quick...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Dave, thanks so much for this information. Yes, I was running the Main Concept software 'as is', not caring about a watermark. I didn't realize the audio was crippled.
I will check out the cost of getting a license for Main Concept; I will also check out Soundforge to see if this would be cheaper/easier. Export directly to mp3 isn't something I need to do very often, so I won't want to invest too much.
Again, I appreciate your solving this mystery for me.
Malcolm
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Hmmm. Main Concepts Conversion Pack would cost $170 (and that's the cheaper of the two Conversion Packs, which doesn't even mention audio), and Soundforge seems to be a Windows-only app.
Does anyone know if there are any other (cheaper) options out there?
regards,
Malcolm
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Malcolm, I just tried exporting DV Raw from ClipBrowser on my MacPro and there are no watermarks or crippled audio after 30 seconds. My clip was just short of 3 minutes and it was all there. From that point you can use VLC or your NLE to export the audio only into whatever format you choose. I used VLC to export MP4 audio only and then went to the PeeCee Windows 7, it played fine in Quicktime as well as Windows Media Player. Good Luck.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Barry, you're absolutely right! I had ignored that setting, because it seemed to be 4x3, but I just tried it, and it works very nicely indeed (it's squeezed to 16x9), and has the audio.
Thanks so much!
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds