Will the Audio-Technica AT875 Mic fit in the Ex-1 mic mount? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 5th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Will the Audio-Technica AT875 Mic fit in the Ex-1 mic mount?

Anyone else use the Audio-Technica AT875 with the EX-1 or EX-1R? I decided I didn't specifically need a stereo mic on my camera but just a very short mono shotgun to mount on my EX-1 for run & gun shooting. The AT875 is about 7" long, which may be okay if I can fit it in the mic mount on the top right side of the EX-1. If it doesn't, I am looking at the Azden SGM-PDII which sits a little further forward mounted in the shoe mount but which is only 5" long. I am trying to get the shortest on-camera mic with decent audio on the camera as possible. (I also now own a Sennheiser ME66 mic kit with a 20' XLR cable mounted in a shock mount on a boom pole, but I am also looking to use an on-camera mic when I do not feel like being tethered to an audio tech.)
Jim Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Will the Audio-Technica AT875 Mic fit in the Ex-1 mic mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gunn View Post
Anyone else use the Audio-Technica AT875 with the EX-1 or EX-1R? I decided I didn't specifically need a stereo mic on my camera but just a very short mono shotgun to mount on my EX-1 for run & gun shooting. The AT875 is about 7" long, which may be okay if I can fit it in the mic mount on the top right side of the EX-1. If it doesn't, I am looking at the Azden SGM-PDII which sits a little further forward mounted in the shoe mount but which is only 5" long. I am trying to get the shortest on-camera mic with decent audio on the camera as possible. (I also now own a Sennheiser ME66 mic kit with a 20' XLR cable mounted in a shock mount on a boom pole, but I am also looking to use an on-camera mic when I do not feel like being tethered to an audio tech.)
A lot of us don't use the mic mount on the EX1 because it cracks too easily. I use a shoe mount or an external mount off camera.

John.
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Trustee

Jim we use AT897s on our EX1Rs. They fit fine. Check the AT site for comparative specs to make sure the diameters are the same.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Philip:

Thanks for the feedback. Do you specifically use it within the built-in mic holder on the top right side of the Ex-1R? Or are you mounting it inside of a shock mount on the top shoe? The only way I would be interested in using the AT875 is if it fits in the built in mic mount. If I have to use the top shoe further forward, I would opt instead for a shorter mic like the 5" long Azden one I referenced in my original post as opposed to the AT875 with it's 7" length.
Jim Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Trustee

Jim, sorry, mental blackout. We suspend the mic in an elastic Rode mount with a leg for Sony mounts. What an idiot I am! Sorry.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds