Safely packing EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Safely packing EX3

I am about to take my first trip with an EX3. The viewfinder doesn't come off, and it sure looks like an accident waiting to happen, trying to put this in a soft camera bag, along with other gear, that will fit in the overhead. Any suggestions on how to safely pack this thing without resorting to a separate bag?
Thomas Quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Safely packing EX3

The viewfinder not being removable is a real pain with the EX3. I have several bags and options for travel.

Easiest, just carry it over your shoulder. It's a small camera and you can place in the overhead bin with a jacket around it.

Think Tank Photo make a great roller bag that is able to be carried aboard US based airlines (but not anywhere else in the world). It fits the Camera and accessories easily. I clip the viewfinder attachment off and pack with a few soft things around it. Just be careful to not put any weight on top of the case, as there is no solid structure there. But if you are careful, it works well.
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the input Ben. I just happen to have that Think Tank bag, and was able to get the whole camera into it. It's a tight fit, but every thing glass or delicate is protected. Now if some passenger just doesn't stick a case of wine on top of it.
Thomas Quinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Thomas,

A removable finder would be very helpful. It is possible to remove the eye-piece loupe and protect what is left from dust with a plastic bag. I also remove the the lens hood and replace it with a screw-in solid lens cap. Finally I remove the mic mount.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

I use my old Portabrace "Smuggler" case from Betacam days. The EX3 fits in perfectly and it fits in the over head compartment in large planes, not commuters though.

It conforms to international carry on size when in compacy mode. And when you go on the shoot it expands to be quite large and carries all kinds of extra gear like batts mics etc with ease.

I belive Portabrace still makes a version of this great bag. I also put a small roller under it that collapses and fits over head or under your seat, very nice for large airports.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds