Express card 34/54mm to USB 3.0 Adapter for EX3 ssd/harddrive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Express card 34/54mm to USB 3.0 Adapter for EX3 ssd/harddrive solution

Hi, I've read lots of post about making diy HDD recorder for EX1, EX3 cameras so I thought I might try but wondered if anyone has tried a USB 3.0 version of the Express 34/54 card?

Express card 34/54mm to USB 3.0 Adapter ExpressCard | eBay

Not sure if it would matter as it's USB 2.0 compatible as well. I'd like to try it also with a USB 3.0 harddrive so that off loading would be quick.

Worried about the current draw of USB3.0 compared to USB2.0 and it would work on my EX3.

The MXM version (USB 2.0) runs off the camera and has no 5volt requirement so that would be nice if my DIY version did so as well. MXM EX-SSD Recorder Kit for Sony XDCAM EX CAMERAS - (MXM003) - MXM Express

Anyway, if anyone has some experience/ideas please post!

Cheers, Evo

Last edited by Evan Meades; May 20th, 2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: .
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Express card 34/54mm to USB 3.0 Adapter for EX3 ssd/harddrive

Not sure about USB 3. It would seem that the speed of USB 3 (assuming your PC can utilize it) would only be an advantage when transferring the data to your PC, not for recording. USB 2 keeps up with the EX data stream just fine.

This is my setup:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1584446

I power mine with a USB travel charger Adapter instead of the camera.

Newegg.com - Rosewill 2 Amp 4 Port USB International Traveling Wall Charger RUC-6181 for iPhone/iPod/iPad/MP3

A hard drive recorder setup is most likely to be used when you are shooting in a location that has electricity. For portable use I use the cards.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Not sure about USB 3. It would seem that the speed of USB 3 (assuming your PC can utilize it) would only be an advantage when transferring the data to your PC, not for recording. USB 2 keeps up with the EX data stream just fine.
As far as the camera is concerned, it doesn't know what USB3 is. All you will ever get is USB2 speeds while recording. In fact the cameras don't even push the USB2 limit.

As for transferring to the computer, ESATA is far more widespread than USB3. It also doesn't require any fancy chipset in the enclosure to get it to work as it's essentially the same SATA data that comes direct from the HD itself.
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson;

This is my setup:
[url
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/486154-mxm-express-recorder-sony-pmwex1r.html#post1584446[/url]

I power mine with a USB travel charger Adapter instead of the camera.

A hard drive recorder setup is most likely to be used when you are shooting in a location that has electricity. For portable use I use the cards.

John
Hi John, thanks for the links. I have read all that posts and more!

I would like to try and diy/build a unit like yours, however for the camera card I'd like to try usb3 version which as pointed out, will just (hopefully) use the usb 2 specs coming from the EX3...do you agree?

As far as power, I'd like to try a usb powered laptop drive something like; OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro Bus-Powered FireWire 800/400, USB 2.0 and 2.5" SATA Portable Hard Drive & SSD Solution (the usb 3 model) or a similar drive case you used with the usb2/esata out port and put either a cheap laptop hDD or maybe a SDD like;Intel SSDSA2MJ080G2C1 X25-M Gen2 80GB 2.5" SATA 9.5mm... at OWC it only uses 1.5 watts so maybe it might run off the EX3 without a power supply like the MXM version; MXM EX-SSD Recorder Kit for Sony XDCAM EX CAMERAS - (MXM003) - MXM Express plus The max size is 85 gb on the Ex3 so no point getting much bigger size drive.

ps Maybe as an alternative, do you think I could just plug a 'powered' off the shelf usb drive (notebook or similar) and use that?

What do you think?

Evo
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
As far as the camera is concerned, it doesn't know what USB3 is. All you will ever get is USB2 speeds while recording. In fact the cameras don't even push the USB2 limit.

As for transferring to the computer, ESATA is far more widespread than USB3. It also doesn't require any fancy chipset in the enclosure to get it to work as it's essentially the same SATA data that comes direct from the HD itself.
Hey Marcus, yeah I figure the EX3 won't know what card is inserted so maybe the usb3 version will work as it's usb2 compatible.

It would be nice to get a portable drive case with usb3 & esata outs!

I'd like to know how the MXM SSD version can run without power. I figure a 'bus powered' case with a low watt drive should work just the same. I plan to use this rig for tripod/events so that I don't have to bother switching cards and can'offload' really quickly.

This seems so simple to put together but just want to brainstorm what parts to get and as USB3 stuff is available I figure why not. I am on Mac but figure they will have usb3 ports someday...maybe! Also there are heaps of add on usb3 drives now and maybe I can use off the shelf drives and just swap them out. SSD would be nice but for stationary filming I might just need spinning drives and say some cash!

Evo
Old May 21st, 2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Meades View Post
This seems so simple to put together but just want to brainstorm what parts to get and as USB3 stuff is available I figure why not. I am on Mac but figure they will have usb3 ports someday...maybe! Also there are heaps of add on usb3 drives now and maybe I can use off the shelf drives and just swap them out. SSD would be nice but for stationary filming I might just need spinning drives and say some cash!
Can't really say I see the benefit of building one yourself when you can go to MxM, buy a dedicated and fully supported/tested unit complete with an SSD inside. You also get the mounts, cables, etc so everything is taken care of. The unit also has an activity light which is a nice confidence facility as you can see the data being written.
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
I would like to try and diy/build a unit like yours, however for the camera card I'd like to try usb3 version which as pointed out, will just (hopefully) use the usb 2 specs coming from the EX3...do you agree?Evo
No. There is no point to it. The USB 3 would only be useful for data transfer to the PC and as Marcus pointed out, most have ESATA which is faster anyway.

Quote:
As far as power, I'd like to try a usb powered laptop drive something like; OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro Bus-Powered FireWire 800/400, USB 2.0 and 2.5" SATA Portable Hard Drive & SSD Solution (the usb 3 model) or a similar drive case you used with the usb2/esata out port and put either a cheap laptop hDD or maybe a SDD like;Intel SSDSA2MJ080G2C1 X25-M Gen2 80GB 2.5" SATA 9.5mm... at OWC it only uses 1.5 watts so maybe it might run off the EX3 without a power supply like the MXM version; MXM EX-SSD Recorder Kit for Sony XDCAM EX CAMERAS - (MXM003) - MXM Express plus The max size is 85 gb on the Ex3 so no point getting much bigger size drive.

ps Maybe as an alternative, do you think I could just plug a 'powered' off the shelf usb drive (notebook or similar) and use that?

What do you think?

Evo
The enclosures you linked will work fine as will most of them. Internally, it looks the same as the Kingwin I used only it is inside a transparent case. Mine came with the Y-cables and everything. Most have activity lights. In terms of the SSD versions, I think that SSDs cost too much and provide no benefit for these recorders for the same reasons being stated here. As long as the media (HDD or SSD) can keep up with the data stream coming from the camera, it makes no difference whether it is USB 3 or USB 2 or HDD or SSD, It is recording in real time and none of this stuff matters except for when you go to transfer it onto your computer. Since that will be later after the shoot is over what's the difference?

Since my EX1 and your EX3 have a maximum of 84GB that will be recognized after you format the HDD or SSD in the enclosure I used the original 120GB drive that came with my laptop in one unit and bought another WD Scorpio 160 GB laptop drive for my other unit for about $42 fron Newegg here in the States. It gives me over 10 hours of recording between the two. One setup plugged into each slot. I bought two enclosures because I don't remove the hard drives ever. The cases can be a bit flimsy so if I don't have to keep removing and reinserting the hard drives, it's less wear and tear.

Now the one you linked is no different than mine in that I can power mine off the camera as well. All of them can be powered that way. I just chose not to because I didn't want to tax the internals of my camera. As I said, I am never in a location without electricity when I am using these units. They are good for non-stop extended recording, like shooting a recital or a musical that is over two hours. I am in a stationary setup for those types of events. For shooting hand held on foot I use the cards. Less weight. Less everything. But as I said, mine will work off the camera if I wanted to. I tested it. They all work that way off USB power. Nothing special about MxM' recorder vs the one you linked vs mine vs anything else you might find. The one you linked that is $60 with a 100GB laptop drive seems very reasonable except that I would look in Australia for something similar since the shipping costs are probably overboard. That is where you live isn't it? Or is it Melbourne, Florida (USA)?

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks again John for all your info.

Yes will source locally apart from the camera card which I can get via ebay.

Yes, Melbourne Australia although I was recently in Florida not far from the US version on the coast. Stayed mostly in Orlando but went to St Augustine and a few others spots..

Cheers
Evo
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:57 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Wolfgangs VideoBlog - April 2011

EX1R recording to USB-Harddrive (500GB = 1767min.) & USB Stick.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:23 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Thanks again John for all your info.

Yes will source locally apart from the camera card which I can get via ebay.

Yes, Melbourne Australia
MxM are based in Australia.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Just a follow up from my original post.

Have successfully used/tested the laptop drive & Express Card adapter (BC268) on my EX3. Overcranks etc all fine. I plan to use this for tripod events and powered set up, although the drive works off the EX3 no problem (tested pulling power etc while recording to the drive).

My particular laptop drive case has an eSata out so quick off loads too!

Ordered a cheap right angle USB lead too for the Cam.

Cheers!!

ps would be great with a firmware update to allow larger HDD but Figure Sony won't be updating to bring it inline with the later cams...too bad.
Evan Meades is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds