EX-1 went green at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Trustee

EX-1 went green

Yesterday while white balancing outdoors my Ex-1 suddenly went stark iridescent green.. I turned the camera on and off and pulled the battery repeatedly then finally did an all-reset all to no avail. Finally I went to playback mode to see the previous shots and had full color. When I switched back to record mode it was fine all day.

What the heck happened? Will this happen again? Does it need to go in for repair?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: EX-1 went green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Yesterday while white balancing outdoors my Ex-1 suddenly went stark iridescent green.. I turned the camera on and off and pulled the battery repeatedly then finally did an all-reset all to no avail. Finally I went to playback mode to see the previous shots and had full color. When I switched back to record mode it was fine all day.

What the heck happened? Will this happen again? Does it need to go in for repair?
Mine has gone green before after a colour balance but you can re-colour balance and it's fine. Seems to be an occasional bug in the firmware and to be honest I've not seen it since I upgraded the firmware.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Trustee

I've also had this happen to my EX1 (similar, but different):

YouTube - ‪EX1 freaks out‬‏

Damp camera, easily cured, never had a problem with it since. But I did need a little sit down somewhere after witnessing the freaking problem.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Trustee

scary as hell, and as I recall it did happen to be before but was faster to fix. I'm wondering if "switching to playback mode" always works t fix it, or did I need to do an all-reset which is really a PAI since then I had top sit down and manually redo all my settings. Also it would be good to be able to tell someone who rented the camera what to do.

Do you guys remember what steps you took to fix it?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi
After upgrading the firmware I have not had the problem ! Do not remember the version of my first firmware.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:35 PM   #6
Major Player

It happened to me, as well. In my case, the culprit appeared to be exposure. I was trying to white balance while the lens and ND settings caused the image to be grossly over exposed. It was a very bright day.

I tried re-white balancing, switching the camera off-on and finally, a total menu reset. All brought me back to the same glowing green screen. Then I realized that the ND was on "0" and the lens, (set to manual) was wide open. I stopped down, white balanced and all has been fine since.

On the outside I appeared calm. Inside I was freaking out in three languages.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 04:48 AM   #7
Major Player

I think chuck has hit the nail on the head, I have had exactly the same thing happen on my EX1 and my Canon 550D. Always in very bright weather, and overexposed when balancing
Old May 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Trustee

I was balancing when it happened also and it may have been overexposed as I was outside.

I don't recall whether I just tried white balancing with a better exposure before I did all that other stuff.
Colin, what did you do to fix it?

550 also???!!!!! how'd you fix that one?
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #9
New Boot

Happened to me the other night. It was definitely due to white balancing while way overexposed. I turned the camera off, set iris to auto, turned camera on and re-white balanced. It did the trick.
Jim Rogalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:08 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I was balancing when it happened also and it may have been overexposed as I was outside.

I don't recall whether I just tried white balancing with a better exposure before I did all that other stuff.
Colin, what did you do to fix it?

550 also???!!!!! how'd you fix that one?
Simply took the camera indoors, switched it off/on and rebalanced indoors, went outdoors, set correct exposure and set balance, all fine. Procedure worked on both the EX1 and 550D. The problem is definately caused by trying to balance, when overexposed.
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Trustee

I had the same thing happen a few months ago with my EX3. I fixed it by changing to the preset WB which fixed the image and then re-WB'ing.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds