DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   XDCAM EX, Final Cut Pro X, Lion - from Sony (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/497416-xdcam-ex-final-cut-pro-x-lion-sony.html)

Craig Seeman June 20th, 2011 02:01 PM

XDCAM EX, Final Cut Pro X, Lion - from Sony

This from a person from Sony who visits some online communities regarding XDCAM ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer.

Quote:

As far as FCP X, we are working with Apple on ensuring that our tools work at time of release or else within a reasonable period of time from initial release.

XDCAM Transfer 2.12 will not work reliably under Lion. In all probability neither will EX Clip Browser. No further updates are planned for these applications.

Barry J. Anwender June 20th, 2011 02:55 PM

Re: XDCAM EX, Final Cut Pro X, Lion - from Sony

Well this is good news to hear that Sony is being proactive with Final Cut X. No surprise on the current 32-bit version of XDCAM Transfer 2.12. Those who are following Final Cut X know that it is a 64-bit application:
Preparing for Final Cut Pro X :: Silverado Systems, Inc.

FCPX is shipping:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/a...mac-app-store/
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/

Craig Seeman June 20th, 2011 03:04 PM

Keep in mind we're also referring to Lion. There may be people using FCP7 under Lion as well as people using FCPX under Snow Leopard. That can result in compatibility complexity.

Key will be whether FCPX can see the .smi metadata to join clips. There's also lots of interesting metadata that ClipBrowser exposes that is not in XDCAM Browser (the new app currently at 1.2 and still feature weak IMHO). It's that app that will likely be further tested under Lion. The way it "registers" with FCP7 seems to be a real bother.

Mitchell Lewis June 23rd, 2011 07:02 PM

So this means that I can't "Import" my EX3 footage into FCPX? It won't see the BPAV folder and rewrap all the files into MOV files? In FCP7 I use the Log and Transfer function, but I guess I could use XDCAM Transfer instead.

Barry J. Anwender June 23rd, 2011 09:05 PM

From Apple's FCPX support page: Apple - Final Cut Pro X - System Requirements and Tech Specs

Supported Formats & I/O:
Sony IMX, XDCAM, XDCAM EX, XDCAM HD, and XDCAM HD422 import supported with additional Sony software

Mitchell, your right about using XDCAM Transfer to generate .MOV files. I can confirm that FCPX will import XDCAM-EX .MOV files into its timeline.

Get ready to put on your "learning/thinking cap." FCPX is radically different with many paradigm shifts from the way we currently manage media folders all the way to the final edit and delivery. I've already spent about 4 hours with tutorials and the FCPX using EX footage. Compressor 4 is mostly the same and Motion 5 seems to be quit an improvement. I will be staying with FCP 7 et.el. for some time because FCPX does not recognize nor is it able to work with FCP 7 legacy projects. It is a complete break with existing software. Cheers.

Mitchell Lewis June 24th, 2011 07:12 AM

So you have to use XDCAM Transfer to edit XDCAM EX footage in FCPX? You tried importing the footage directly into FCPX?

Thanks Barry.

Barry J. Anwender June 24th, 2011 07:52 AM

Mitchell:

1. Use XDCAM Transfer to generate .MOV EX-files
2. Use FCPX to import the .MOV EX-files
3. Use FCPX to compost, edit, color correct, sound edit and render then share or make DVD, Blu-ray discs.

Thus, at this time, FCPX will NOT recognize BPAV folders/footage. Sony is working to build a new 64-bit version of Log & Transfer. When it is available, then FCPX will be able to import footage from BPAV folders.
Cheers.

Mitchell Lewis June 24th, 2011 08:01 AM

Thanks Barry. Good to hear that XDCAM Transfer footage works well with FCPX (as expected). Hopefully Sony will release some software soon, as personally I like it better than XDCAM Transfer, mainly because you can choose to import only Audio channel 1 or 2.

Dave Sperling June 24th, 2011 10:48 AM

Just wondering ---
Have any of you tried the Sony Cinemon plug in with FCPX ??
Wondering if it works as well as in FCP, allowing you direct access to BPAVs without conversion, or if new X code breaks it ???

Steve Brasier July 10th, 2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1659985)
This from a person from Sony who visits some online communities regarding XDCAM ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer.

Is this still Sony's position on updating Log and Transfer for use with OS X 10.7 Lion for FCP7 users? Given the backlash with FCPX, I am just wondering if there has been a change on the update decision.

Craig Seeman July 10th, 2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Brasier (Post 1666029)
Is this still Sony's position on updating Log and Transfer for use with OS X 10.7 Lion for FCP7 users? Given the backlash with FCPX, I am just wondering if there has been a change on the update decision.

ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer have been EOL for some time. They will not be updated for Lion. It doesn't make a difference whether you're using FCP7 or FCPX on Lion.

XDCAM Browser will be updated (but no timeline given) and supposedly that will improve the use with FCPX.

Steve Brasier July 10th, 2011 01:03 PM

Thanks. Am I safe to update to Lion and continue using the current version of XDCAM Browser and FCP7?

Dave Sperling July 10th, 2011 04:21 PM

If past history is any experience, recalling apple's ability to leave compatability in the dust and break things that were working just fine (remember when the mouse driver in the unibody macs didn't like the SxS cards, or when an SxS card would cause a kernel crash in Snow leopard?) I'd wait and test on someone else's system before placing your workflow in jeopardy. Maybe a trip to the apple store to try it out there?

Craig Seeman July 10th, 2011 05:19 PM

XDCAM Browser is not yet Lion compatible. Sony will do it but we don't know the time table.
Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer are EOL and will not be made Lion compatible.

Marcus Durham July 11th, 2011 01:08 AM

What is it with Apple users that make them want to jump to the new OS on day 1?

If we're talking your only production machine, leave well alone until it's been properly tested. Steve Jobs isn't going to come round to your house and shoot your pet rabbits because you didn't upgrade on day 1. Wait a month until it's been properly tested and you know your edit environment won't be impacted.