The 14X zoom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 10th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The 14X zoom

I have been doing some research on the EX1, EX1R and the EX3 cameras as I am interesting in moving up to the 1/2 sensors for better low light video and other reasons (stepping up from an XH A1). So I am learning a lot about the media it shoots on, EX1 vs EX3, etc...

One thing I thought I had read along the way was information about the 14X zoom. I have always been used to 20X zoom power going back to the XL2 camera and the XH A1, and moving into a 14X is a bit scarry to me only because I film hunting and we try to get as close to the animal as possible with our cameras.

Back to what I read....I read that the detail the EX camera provides is basically the same picture and detail as I would get from a 20x zoom camera. Is that true? Anyone have any expertise on this?

Also, how noticable will my picture look stepping up from an XH A1?

One more question on the EX1 vs the EX1R - I mainly shoot from a tripod or a tree arm (picture it as a horizontally pivoting tripod that attaches to a tree), so hand holding is hardly ever done except for broll footage. Is there really anything the EX1R can do that the EX1 cannot?
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: The 14X zoom

You won't get the same angle of view available at the longer end of the EX1 zoom - 5.8 to 81.2 mm (equivalent to 31.4 to 439 mm on 35 mm lens). You could get a teleconverter to match the longer end of the Canon.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

OK, so 14X is 14X no matter what. Thanks for the reply!

Anyone have any information on the EX1 vs EX1R as I discussed earlier?
Old July 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Major Player

EX1R has several additions/improvements compared to EX1, here are a few ---
Picture cache recording
Image Invert
HDMI Output
Standard Def recording if desired
One push switch for slow & quick record
Better positioning of several connectors
And of course the better ergonimically designed handle you referred to.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:37 AM   #5
Sponsor: Westside AV

You may want to consider an EX3, you can then use Nikon lenses with an adapter.

This would give you very long lens choices as well as the standard 14x lens. And it is a very affordable way to buy long lenses.
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

With the Nikon comment, is there a certain Nikon lens I would need? Example, I have a great NIKON still camera with a 300MM lens. Would that attach with the adaptor?

I have been kicking around the EX3 route as well, just so many good choices right now I guess it all comes down to what i want to spend. If I go the used route (I have had good luck with this route in the past), I can stretch my budget. If I go the new route, I may be limited in my choice.

Then there is always the "gotta sell my xh a1 first" and I am not in the mood to just give it away and that is what I have seen on the prices lately.

Still undecided! :)
Old July 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I think it should be easy to find several discussions of the EX1r vs EX1 tradeoffs.

I upgraded from an A1 to EX1R, like you, wanting improved low light and solid state recording. I find the EX1R to be a fantastic camera that delivers stunning results. There are some other features coming off the A1 that you will also like such as keeping 3 lens rings (after having 3 on the A1 I eliminated other cameras that only had 2), upgrading to full manual focus and finally having independent impedance on the audio channels. I find the XDCAM image quality so good that zooming in post makes up for the loss of optical zoom (for the shooting I do) but your needs are different. Here's a thread I found helpful on tele-extenders for the EX-1:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...omparison.html

I think the one feature that the EX1R has that the EX-1 and the EX3 lack that would be handy for you is the cache recording. It's programmable as to how much time before record is pressed that it caches (some cameras have a fixed amount like 3 seconds).

Another improvement in the EX1r over the EX-1 is that the viewfinder is hi-res. I don't much use the VF but when I needed it, it was really nice.

Anyway, the long lens ability of the EX3 may be more important and the fact that you have some long glass may make it a slam dunk if it can be made compatible. Add to that the economic benefits of picking up a used EX3 and ......
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Awesome information Lee. I don't really think the long lens of the EX3 (interchangeable is what I mean) is that important. Most of the good footage is from a tree and it is all bowhunting, so the animals are usually close when it counts.

I think I will be looking at the EX1R for now but definitely shopping for a good deal.

Thanks for all the comments. I will also check out that link Lee.
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

One other fix made in the EX1R I forgot about was the IR fix. As I understand it, black fabric would have a reddish hue to it on the EX1. An IR filter solved the problem on the EX1 but it's fixed in the EX1R. For me, it's one less thing to be concerned with... am I gonna shoot black fabric?.....is there enough room for a polarizer too?.... rats, I forgot to bring the IR filter..... you get the idea..... :-) YMMV
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds