Canon YH19x6.7 KRS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon YH19x6.7 KRS

Does anyone here have any experience with this lens for HD acquisition? I know some SD-lenses perform quite well, but I haven't found anything about this particular one.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon YH19x6.7 KRS

I had a YH18 so I presume the lenses are very similar. Used it a bit on my EX-3 and sold it. Images were soft and you could probably get by with it depending upon your application. Some might even like the softness since the EX does produce such sharp images. Try it and experiment with detail settings to see if it works for you. Not much of answer-- just a qualified "maybe."
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the info, Ned. The problem is I won't have an opportunity to try it, as it is for sale abroad. But it's with a 'money back warranty', so I'll probably risk it. Unless someone else has more hands-on experience. Let's wait and see for some while...
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:45 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I've used a a YH19x6.7 on an EX3 and PMW-F350 and found it to perform quite well. It was almost as good as my Canon KH20x6.4 which cost a lot more money.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, Alister. I was hoping you would have some experience with this lens. Sounds good, especially as it's only 1/4 th of the price of a second hand KH20. Now I just have to make sure it fits the Sony bayonet. I presume there are some models for JVC too. Or does the 'KRS' in the name have to do anything with the bayonet type?
Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Don't you have any pictures available? If there is a cable coming from the handgrip it's for JVC/BTS/Panasonic and if there isn't it's for Sony.

I would definatly ask for some hires pictures before buying a lens online.

The KRS just means the following:
K: No extender
R: Zoom:Servo Focus:Manual
S: Iris Servo Control
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Sander,

I have once seen a lens exactly like this, with a cable from the grip, that fitted a Sony XDCAM camera perfectly. So the presence of a cable is not conclusive, there are still different bayonets for different camera brands. Some of these lenses have a hot shoe for XDCAM camera's, but some others do have the cable connection (and no hot shoe), depending on the date of production supposedly. I do have a picture and I attach it here.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon YH19x6.7 KRS-nieuwe-lens.jpg  
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:40 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Mine did not have a cable, itnused the Sony hotshoe. The majority of Sony fit lenses will not have the cable. There were a lot of these lenses made to fit the Panasonic 1/2" DVCPRO cameras so be careful!
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the extra info, Alister. The vendor claims it will fit a Sony cam, but I want to be 100% sure. I add a picture of the bayonet. Can you see by the look of it if is Sony or Panasonic?
Attached Thumbnails
Canon YH19x6.7 KRS-bayonet.jpg  
Old August 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Inner Circle

The Sony and Pana Bayonets are almost identical. I can't tell from the picture, sorry.
Old August 7th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #11
Major Player

OK, Alister, thanks anyway.
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi there.

I occasionally put my Canon YJ13 6.0 KRS lens on my PMW350 for a wider shot than my standard lens. It produces nice sharp pictures at the wide end but fringing is evident at the long end.

Works well but strangely I cannot see the clips show up in XDCam EX Clip Browser. Must be some lens info type problem.
Old August 31st, 2011, 02:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Guys, thanks for all the advice. I ordered the lens - with a money back warranty - and I'll keep you posted about the results after testing.
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Major Player

Sorry folks, no test results, Im afraid. The lens I received today proved to be the wrong bayonet type, although I specifically asked for 'Sony 1/2 inch' over and over again. Time to find out how far the 'money back warranty' from Adorama goes...
Old October 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Major Player

Happy ending: got a complete refund from Adorama, in a very short time and without any discussion. Too bad they didn't check more thoroughly if the lens reallly had a Sony bayonet. Anyway, the 'money back warranty' worked fine, so no harm done.

In the meantime I found and bought this little and inexpensive mint condition Canon lens in the UK: YH16x7 KRS, with Sony hot shoe contacts. Tested it and it appears to be quite sharp, except at apertures wider than 4. It shows quite some breathing, but surprising little CA. It's very light (not even 1 kg) and together with the lightest V-lock battery it makes a very comfortable lightweight combination for the PMW320.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds