DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Panic over Snow Leopard SxS Driver Kernal Panic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/499130-panic-over-snow-leopard-sxs-driver-kernal-panic.html)

Mike Petty August 2nd, 2011 03:30 PM

Panic over Snow Leopard SxS Driver Kernal Panic

I had to install Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro because of issues with other software. I thought I had the right updated SxS driver for Snow Leopard (Version 1.0.045050) but apparently not. Every time I insert the SxS card I get a kernal panic.

So I jump over to Sony's website to dl the latest version and it's down for freaking maintenance!!! Tried to find the UK site but no luck.

I am bugging out on a shoot tomorrow night and desperately (now) need the latest SxS driver for the latest, last version of Snow Leopard on a MBP so I can dump my BPAV files off to a hard drive.

Can anybody help point me to someplace to download it or send me a .dmg of the installer. Happy to give my email address once we get connected.

Thanks,

MP

Les Wilson August 2nd, 2011 04:10 PM

Re: Panic over Snow Leopard SxS Driver Kernal Panic

1 Attachment(s)
The website is up and that is the latest version

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM EX

Mike Petty August 2nd, 2011 06:28 PM

Disconcerting...then any ideas why I might be getting the kernal panic?

Craig Seeman August 2nd, 2011 06:40 PM

Sony's site tends to have some labeling issues.
Make sure the version you have has the file name v1052020 in the dmg.
The file date shows as April 21, 2011.

Les Wilson August 2nd, 2011 06:58 PM

Craig is right. I clicked thru that webpage and downloaded the driver. The name of the .dmg is SxS_Device_Driver_v1052020.dmg

Mike Petty August 2nd, 2011 07:05 PM

Thanks guys... I just downloaded and loaded that driver and I am still getting the kernal panic. BUT...once I restart the SxS disc does show up on the desktop.

Absent any alternative that will have to be the workaround for the time being but that makes me nervous.

Anybody have any ideas or resources?

...and thanks for the pointer to the site with the current driver

Les Wilson August 2nd, 2011 08:47 PM

I recommend spending some time on Apple's support website. It's spelled kernel (with 2 e's). Try searching on kernel panic express slot

Andrew Stone August 2nd, 2011 09:55 PM

There is a good amount of material here on Snow Leopard issues with an earlier version of the SxS driver as well. Search engine should bring it up.

I would make sure you uninstall the old SxS driver first. Not sure if there is an uninstaller or if you have to do it by hand. Check the instructions.

Lots of people are now happily running the SxS driver on Snow Leopard. The earlier version did induce kernel panics.

Mike Petty August 2nd, 2011 11:27 PM

kernel...noted.

Unfortunately I don not have the time to monkey around troubleshooting this little problem.

Luckily, I forgot I have a plug in SxS card reader I use with my MacPro so I'll tote that along (it works fine).

Just another PITA to deal with...

Thanks