Traveling to Ireland with my Ex-1R and batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Traveling to Ireland with my Ex-1R and batteries

I am traveling from the US to Ireland next week and taking my Ex-1r complete with two Bpu-60 batteries and charger in my carry on camera bag. I have been on the TSA site and the information is not clear with respect to the Lithium Ion batteries. One will be attached to the Ex-1R and the spare will be attached to my charger. Also I have AA 1.5 volt dry cell regular non chargeable batteries in my Sony wireless microphone and wireless receiver. I also am bringing 4 AA spare batteries with the terminals taped and in a clear plastic bag.

Does anyone see any problem with the TSA folks with this set up?

Thanks

Ronnie Martin
Page 1
Old September 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Traveling to Ireland with my Ex-1R and batteries

None. The u60 battery is below the limit.
Old September 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'd check with all your airlines prior about carry-on weight limits, and apart from the EX-1R attached battery, pack the other batteries in your check in luggage. The aftermath of the tragic Sept 11 is still with us.

We were in Ireland last July and loved it, make sure you take time to sightsee .. and pack your Irish Whisky samples in your check in for the return trip :) Safe travelling.

Cheers.
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
... apart from the EX-1R attached battery, pack the other batteries in your check in luggage. ...
According to this site:
Safe Travel

You cannot put your lithium ion EX1r batteries in your checked bags.

I put a piece of gaff tape over the contacts of batteries other than the one on my camera.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks folks for the information. I feel better now about traveling with my camera batteries. BTW I read the TSA report that said the lithium ion batteries were not to be packed in the checked baggage. It seems that the problem is the risk of fire in the baggage area rather than in the cabin. Also I packed a small roll of gaffers tape just incase there is something else I need to tape besides the batteries.

Thanks again

Ronnie
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

And make sure to arrive at the airport EARLY as TSA authorities have pretty much final say "on the day" regardless of what the regs say and it may take a while to sort out that you ARE allowed to transport the batteries. I've had to educate gate folks on smaller carriers before...
Old September 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Ooops better start carrying my batts on board, never been stopped yet but there's always a first time. Thanks Les.

Cheers.
Old September 10th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
And make sure to arrive at the airport EARLY as TSA authorities have pretty much final say "on the day" regardless of what the regs say and it may take a while to sort out that you ARE allowed to transport the batteries. I've had to educate gate folks on smaller carriers before...
So true. My last trip I had printouts of the regulations.... in case.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Major Player

I have traveled to Ireland several times carrying either an EX1 or an EX3 + Sony wide angle and 3 BPU-60s, (plus whatever else will fit) all in a Kata backpack. Never a battery issue on either Aer Lingus or Continental.

Just be patient and be sure to allow yourself lots of extra time because they will stop and either check your bag by hand or swab it for chemical residue.

Always take your camera out of the bag and put it in a separate tray prior to the x-ray.

Also, having shot in Ireland dozens of times, I suggest you bring at least a .6 ND grad filter because the difference between the sky and the lush greenery is always a great.

Enjoy!
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Welcome Ronnie! Whereabouts will you be filming?
Mary Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds