Viewing clips on computer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:58 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Viewing clips on computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Don't ever just copy the video files. Always, always, always back up the entire BPAV folder. Failure to do so will render the footage unusable by many edit systems.

I really recommend you download and install Sony's XDCAM Browser to view and manage your footage. It's designed for the job, won't screw up your BPAV folders and will give you access to all the metadata and other information the camera records.

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

The extra files are metadata and other information about the footage and it's important that you keep them.
I am not sure I understand this. I treat the cards like any other when I pull things off of them. I insert them into my computer, pull off all the folders on the card and insert them into a folder on my computer, then on my back up hard drive. Insert the card back in the camera, format the card and start all over.

Am I really screwing up? Teach me, I learn fast!
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Technically, copying the bpav folder will work in some limited cases. However, the XDCAM Clip Browser software from Sony is superior. In addition to viewing clips and taking stills, it will consolidate multiple bpav folders (i.e. multiple cards) into one folder on your hard disk and automatically join split files just by dragging and dropping from within the software.

Also, when using the XDCAM Transfer software you can convert the originals in the bpav folders into something for your NLE to use. As it does it, it will repair rolling shutter effects.

Here's Sony's web pages where you can learn the recommended workflow for your NLE:
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Back on the topic I have a question. Metadata aside, is there anything wrong with transcoding the files straight to .mov files through XDCAM Transfer? I use to do like that when I'm working on projects that I entirely manage by myself, from shooting to editing to CC. I use FCP and Color on a macbook pro.

pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #19
Major Player

You might want to ask yourself, particularly in light of the way the whole Final Cut X release/debacle has been playing out --

1 -- Is what I shoot destined to ONLY be edited using Final Cut?
2 -- Will I NEVER need to provide this footage to anyone else?
3 -- Do I trust Apple to NEVER change their codecs to the point that the current .mov format is no longer supported in FCP / FCxx?

Admittedly, it is currently possible to reverse-convert the FCP .mov files back to .mxf files using a converter from Convergent Design -- though it does take some time and effort to do so...

So basically, given the choice of archiving in a format that will potentially work for all possible other users of the footage (the BPAV structure) or saving in a format that not only may not contain all metadata and may not be usable by others (FCP MOV files), why would you choose the latter?
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Dave,

thanks for taking the time to answer. I have to admit that I'm basically lazy so I didn't ask myself many questions. I agree that one never knows who might want/have to play with his footage in the future. I 'll start keeping the bpav folders and do a copy of .mov files for backup and editing.
As for rolling shutter effects: really?

pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Technically, copying the bpav folder will work in some limited cases. However, the XDCAM Clip Browser software from Sony is superior. In addition to viewing clips and taking stills, it will consolidate multiple bpav folders (i.e. multiple cards) into one folder on your hard disk and automatically join split files just by dragging and dropping from within the software.

Also, when using the XDCAM Transfer software you can convert the originals in the bpav folders into something for your NLE to use. As it does it, it will repair rolling shutter effects.

Here's Sony's web pages where you can learn the recommended workflow for your NLE:
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
So far, your information is right on and I appreciate that! I shot some footage this weekend and used the clip browser software to watch it. Pretty cool features too - acquisition tab is really neat on there! I ran the camera until it was dark outside and the footage was a bit grainy and I really watched it as I ran it on manual on how the camera adjusted!

Now, still have questions that maybe you can help answer:
1. I stick the card in my computer, and all the files show up - GREAT!
2. I created new folders on my computer to drag them back into - GREAT!
3. I deleted the files off my cards and they are ready to go back into camera and format - GREAT!
ISSUE
4. I notice that on the "explorer" tab, on the bottom left, I have already used 885 GBYTES and only have free space of 114. How does this work? I got out of the clip browser, went in and watched some of the footage on VLC and noticed I now have sound, but how in the world do you clean up the clip browser without deleting off your computer? Do I need to send it to a seperate hard drive (I have no problem doing this!).
Derrick DeWilde is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds